I have to store the YZ for 2 years!

33 replies to this topic
  • tpastrana

Posted March 18, 2011 - 08:10 PM

Well hello tt members I've been reading on the storage threads, but most of it is just mostly winterization, anyone have suggestions here's what I've come up with.

Drain fuel
Store at tdc to take pressure off of valves/springs/no air/rust
Exhaust plug
Change oil, Filter
Clean Air Filter, put/tape plastic bag over filter, seal off airbox from critters.
Wash it.
Put it on stand
Cover it.

Anything else that you would suggest or not suggest!

Thanks!

• YamaLink

Posted March 19, 2011 - 03:42 AM

Lock it.

• tpars121

Posted March 19, 2011 - 04:46 AM

I would fog the engine also.

http://www.amsoil.co...efront/fog.aspx

• twomancrew

Posted March 19, 2011 - 11:47 AM

Store in a heated garage/space.

• William1

Posted March 19, 2011 - 12:03 PM

All good advice.

Remove the float bowl and get every drop out.

• swaldrop

Posted March 19, 2011 - 02:56 PM

Sell it and don't even think twice about it. Why go through all the trouble to store it for 2 years? Just get a new one when you get done with whatever you have to do.

Edited by swaldrop, March 19, 2011 - 07:38 PM.

• Yamaryder29

Posted March 19, 2011 - 03:53 PM

Sell it and don't even think twice about. Why go through all the trouble to store it for 2 years? Just get a new one when you get done with whatever you have to do.

I agree. sell it. put the money in an account, you'll save on shipping and can buy another when you get out without the hassle of worrying about your bike.

• davcon

Posted March 19, 2011 - 05:17 PM

Sell it and don't even think twice about. Why go through all the trouble to store it for 2 years? Just get a new one when you get done with whatever you have to do.

smart!

• Family Man

Posted March 19, 2011 - 06:39 PM

yeah sell it.

• tpastrana

Posted March 19, 2011 - 08:30 PM

I have way to much money invested in this bike, lots of mods, and cant get a decent price in this economy to justify selling so I'm keeping it. Buying new is a waste of a good chunk of mula, buying a older new model still on the floor is the only way to go.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tpastrana

Posted March 19, 2011 - 08:34 PM

Sell it and don't even think twice about it. Why go through all the trouble to store it for 2 years? Just get a new one when you get done with whatever you have to do.

All of the trouble? Do you ever work on your bike or do you take it to the dealer haha? Do you really think that list is a difficult task?

• The Spanky

Posted March 19, 2011 - 08:50 PM

I'll be glad to store it in my garage for you, you know, to keep it from getting lonely and all, and let it out for some occasional exercise...:thumbsup:

• ttr250dude

Posted March 19, 2011 - 10:05 PM

Your list sounds good, but you should also fog the $h*t out of it. Spray it with the fogging spray till the engine bogs out.

• Polar_Bus

Posted March 20, 2011 - 03:37 AM

I have way to much money invested in this bike, lots of mods, and cant get a decent price in this economy to justify selling so I'm keeping it. Buying new is a waste of a good chunk of mula, buying a older new model still on the floor is the only way to go.

Your storage list is pretty comprehensive. I personally prefer "wet" storage over dry as this new Ethanol fuel leaves behind a corrosive fungal residue on the surface of fuel system carb components. The other issue that I can tell you from experience that could possible be more problematic than the fuel is RODENTS ! Mice and chipmunks will wreak havoc if the little bastards can gain access to your stored YZ ! Where is your bike being stored ?

• wlfdgs

Posted March 20, 2011 - 04:22 AM

I would fog the engine also.

:thumbsup:

You can get a fogging oil at any marine dealer as well if you have one local.

• Yamaryder29

Posted March 20, 2011 - 06:30 AM

That's understandable. I don't think i could ever give up my 250f, even though i want a 450. Looks like i'll just have to get 2nd bike. That's a bummer you have to store it. Are you in the military?

• mywifefarts

Posted March 20, 2011 - 06:31 AM

O.K. I have to ask since nobody else is going to. What will you be doing for the next two years? Are you being deployed over seas?

• swaldrop

Posted March 20, 2011 - 07:35 AM

All of the trouble? Do you ever work on your bike or do you take it to the dealer haha? Do you really think that list is a difficult task?

I do all of my own work, which includes getting it really clean to sell it every other year or two so I can buy a new one! :thumbsup:

I am not saying that you have to have a brand new bike all the time (although I would recommend it), but unless your bike is a restored classic, sell it. Your shiny bolt on parts can be sold on Ebay.

Personally, I have never understood how people can be so in love with these things and hold on to them for so long. One thing is for sure though, it does sound like you may have invested too much money in to it. :bonk:

• ttr250dude

Posted March 20, 2011 - 01:26 PM

About the invested money; I totally hear where your coming from. I have $600 bucks in my '08 YZ450f. I have an offer to trade my bike for a very clean, very well taken care of 06 YZ250 but idk if i can let go of the money i have invested in it..

• tpastrana

Posted March 20, 2011 - 09:32 PM

O.K. I have to ask since nobody else is going to. What will you be doing for the next two years? Are you being deployed over seas?

No I'm going to serve a latter day saint mission in Columbus Ohio.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.