02 wr 426 over heating

2 replies to this topic
  • reborncutter

Posted March 18, 2011 - 04:37 PM

went riding today ,, was raining a little,, lots of slick top soil/mud,,, about an hour into it i over heated,,,,first and second gear only on some slick trails,, lots of idol time ,,, and i'm really concerned... i see lots of stuff saying that this bike in not meant for this tight trail riding,,, any suggestions?.. also the bike would only run with the choke on.. so i adjusted the idol screw till it would run with out the choke,,, i dont think it's running to much rpm,,as i pretty much had to work the throttle so it wouldnt die,,,,

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Kawidad

Posted March 19, 2011 - 08:14 AM

Overheating and not running without a choke could both be symptomatic of the jetting being overly lean. I would pull the spark plug and take a look, and also, if you don't know where it's jetted at, I'd then pull the carb and check it out. The sticky here about jetting is a good resource.

• honyam83

Posted March 20, 2011 - 06:09 AM

It sounds like your pilot jet is clogged. Has it been sitting for a while? If so I can almost guarantee that's the problem. My dad did the same thing with his 01 426, I'm surprised it survived, the header was glowing red while I was ridding beside him. We went back to the house cleaned the carb and it ran fine, of course we did have to adjust the idle back down.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.