Should i polish my head?

7 replies to this topic
  • ttr250dude

Posted March 17, 2011 - 05:29 PM

I've heard that it's easy to screw up porting a head so I'm not gonna bother with that, but what about polishing the exhaust tracts? I read that its not good to polish the intake tracts because of something to do with the fuel mixing with the air.

Is it easy enough to polish the exhaust tracts myself?
Is it easy to screw up?
How much of an improvement will i notice?

• grayracer513

Posted March 17, 2011 - 07:10 PM

Not too hard, yes, and not much at all.

Polishing the exhaust with out any other modifications will do very little for you. If you want to make a much better improvement in the exhaust port, just brush the carbon out and make a new exhaust gasket for a piece of bare 8 gauge solid copper ground wire (hardware store). The stock gasket overhangs the port somewhat severely when compressed.

• ttr250dude

Posted March 18, 2011 - 12:23 AM

Thanks for the quick reply gray. How much of a difference will i notice with using a copper wire gasket and clearing out the carbon? Do i have to take the head off to clean out the carbon? I was thinking i could make sure the exhaust valves are closed, use a soft dremel sanding bit to brush the carbon off, then blow it out with compressed air.

Or.. is it not worth the time and effort?

• grayracer513

Posted March 18, 2011 - 06:53 AM

You won't get one HP out of it, and that means that it will make a less than 2% difference. Think you'll feel that?

The gasket is worth doing, especially if you have the pipe off for some other reason, but cleaning out the port is probably not necessary. I doubt there is enough build up in it to matter.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ttr250dude

Posted March 18, 2011 - 12:19 PM

K. So why is it worth doing the gasket if it won't show any noticeable gains? I'm not trying to be a smarta$$, just asking questions haha

• grayracer513

Posted March 18, 2011 - 12:50 PM

Don't do it.

• ttr250dude

Posted March 18, 2011 - 02:22 PM

haha k. thanks for the blunt answer :thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted March 18, 2011 - 02:59 PM

K. So why is it worth doing the gasket if it won't show any noticeable gains? I'm not trying to be a smarta$$, just asking questions haha

Why do you think? If you can remove an obvious restriction from the exhaust port for $2 and 30 minutes work with no risk to the engine at all, why wouldn't you? The truth is most people can't "notice" the difference between normal and 2 horsepower on a YZ450, so if you're going to go on that alone, you won't do anything ever.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.