Glowing Red pipe

41 replies to this topic
  • Moto Andy

Posted March 17, 2011 - 09:13 PM

Alright guys amongst all the making fun of me an the said question i appreciate the honest answers. I had assumed it wasn't bad but wanted to see others opinions.

• grayracer513

Posted March 18, 2011 - 06:47 AM

Yeah, people have a lot of fun with that one. It's become a kind of initiation thing.

You have Ti pipe with a wall thickness of about .035" carrying exhaust gases that can run over 1500 degrees with the choke on. Add in the aggressive cam timing, and there's a lot of heat in the pipe. Dull red visible at night under the sort of lights you find in the typical garage is about 750 degrees. Bright red under the same conditions is around 900. Stainless steels melt at about 2550, and Titanium at 3660, so there's quite a bit of room to spare.

I never worry about it. Mine does that all the time :thumbsup: :

Posted Image

• beezer

Posted March 18, 2011 - 09:22 AM

They made fun of me when I asked the question.

It was your turn in the barrel for not doing a search first.

• Pmason718

Posted March 21, 2011 - 08:40 AM

I was going to ask the same thing but I'm glad I searched first. Some ppl on here was saying the bike is running lean but i was thinking this is a new FI bike still stock, lol

• Troutman

Posted March 21, 2011 - 06:54 PM

Yeah, people have a lot of fun with that one. It's become a kind of initiation thing.

You have Ti pipe with a wall thickness of about .035" carrying exhaust gases that can run over 1500 degrees with the choke on. Add in the aggressive cam timing, and there's a lot of heat in the pipe. Dull red visible at night under the sort of lights you find in the typical garage is about 750 degrees. Bright red under the same conditions is around 900. Stainless steels melt at about 2550, and Titanium at 3660, so there's quite a bit of room to spare.

I never worry about it. Mine does that all the time :thumbsup: :

Posted Image

Ahh, that pic is funny every time :bonk:

• grayracer513

Posted March 21, 2011 - 08:11 PM

Ahh, that pic is funny every time :thumbsup:

TT Trivia Quiz:

What was the member name of the person who first posted the Rocket Cart?

• cowboyona426

Posted March 23, 2011 - 10:26 AM

TT Trivia Quiz:

grayracer513

• grayracer513

Posted March 23, 2011 - 12:35 PM

TT Trivia Quiz:

grayracer513

Nope. Not me.

• jdirtrider

Posted March 23, 2011 - 12:39 PM

you might want to check and make sure your not running to lean.

• d4yton

Posted March 23, 2011 - 12:41 PM

you might want to check and make sure your not skipping the first 2 pages, and the other 498734 threads asking this question:thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted March 23, 2011 - 12:42 PM

Whereas you might want to read the first few posts...

...when i start the bike [COLOR="Red"]with the choke on[/COLOR] and let it warm up the pipe gets super hot and starts glowing bright red,...

• ringet

Posted March 23, 2011 - 01:06 PM

this is a vid i took of my bike totally normal and with Ti pipes it seems to glow sooner.

• dgcars

Posted March 23, 2011 - 01:26 PM

this is a vid i took of my bike totally normal and with Ti pipes it seems to glow sooner.

Choke.....:thumbsup:

• cowboyona426

Posted March 23, 2011 - 01:40 PM

TT Trivia Quiz:

Wrooster

• grayracer513

Posted March 23, 2011 - 02:27 PM

Wrooster

:bonk::lol:[COLOR="Green"]WINNER![/COLOR]:p:ride: :thumbsup::thumbsup:

• cowboyona426

Posted March 23, 2011 - 02:43 PM

:bonk::lol:[COLOR="Green"]WINNER![/COLOR]:p:ride: :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I found this really cool feature of the site, it's called "search". You wouldn't believe what kind of stuff you can dig up using that feature! :foul:

• Mr. Neutron

Posted March 23, 2011 - 04:16 PM

I found this really cool feature of the site, it's called "search". You wouldn't believe what kind of stuff you can dig up using that feature! :bonk:

Wow!!! :thumbsup: Would this "SEARCH" feature help me to find my tools from that one ride when the flap on my fanny pack came open, & left a trail of tools for miles around?

Jimmie

• cowboyona426

Posted March 24, 2011 - 06:56 AM

Wow!!! :thumbsup: Would this "SEARCH" feature help me to find my tools from that one ride when the flap on my fanny pack came open, & left a trail of tools for miles around?

Jimmie

Give it a whirl and let me know how it works out for you! :bonk:

• crf450319

Posted March 24, 2011 - 07:05 AM

you might want to check and make sure your not skipping the first 2 pages, and the other 498734 threads asking this question:thumbsup:

Bahaha-hahahahahahahaha...... BURN !!!

Seriously though, I have the same problem with my pipe... It glows red, I'm not sh*tting you.

• grayracer513

Posted March 24, 2011 - 08:35 AM

... with Ti pipes it seems to glow sooner.

Ti pipes glow sooner and brighter only because they are almost always much thinner (.030-.040" vs. .060" or so for stainless). All metals glow with pretty much the same color and intensity at any give temperature, but with the Ti pipes, there is less metal to heat up, and a less efficient conductive path to the rest of the exhaust system to carry the heat away from the head area.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.