wr444 sleeve or coat

2 replies to this topic
  • igetmykicksona426

Posted March 16, 2011 - 05:18 AM

Just asked thumper racing about the leaking issues with there steel sleeves. They said it was a thing of the past. Here is what was said.

The DRZ sleeve is wet vrs the YZF sleeve which is dry. What that means is to install the DRZ sleeve you have to completely remove/machine out the inner cylinder and the sleeve which has the potential to leak- although we haven’t had one leak that I know of in over 4 years. The problem was mainly due to the way the sleeves were installed back then. We now use a different sealing process on the DRZ sleeves that has eliminated this issue.

The DRZ is a completely different sleeve compared to what is done to the 426 cylinder. The YZF is a dry sleeve which fits inside the cylinder and the sleeve is similar to plating because the water jacket is not compromised when the sleeve is installed. The only safe way to big bore the YZF is to sleeve the cylinder. The Stock 426 cylinder becomes too thin if you just over bore and re-nicasiled it and can crack so to maintain strength and cylinder integrity a steel sleeve must be used for this kit.

That being said what do you guys think or know from experience about the 444 kits on a 426 without a steel sleeve, just the bore and recoat.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • igetmykicksona426

Posted March 17, 2011 - 04:27 AM

I guess my post count doesn't warrant a response from anyone.

• grayracer513

Posted March 17, 2011 - 08:37 AM

So you're going to be petulant because no one answered in 12 hours?

You asked for people with experience with a particular kit on a 10 year old bike. How many do you think there will be?

I tend to dislike steel sleeves as opposed to plated bores because of the heat barrier they invariably create. Even so, if the cylinder wall does indeed become too thin to be practical, that's a valid point. You might contact Luke's Racing for a second opinion, and/or Engine Dynamics.

Related Content

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.