GoPro Adhesive and Mounting Question??

14 replies to this topic
  • NJcrf250r

Posted March 15, 2011 - 05:52 PM

Finally bought myself a GoPro camera and will be mounting it to the side of my helmet but I'm paranoid about the adhesive holding on. Has anyone had their camera fall off? and has anyone done any costume mounting to the side of a helmet beside simply the 3M adhesive pads? Thanks

Edited by NJcrf250r, March 15, 2011 - 06:01 PM.
Poor Title

• nellauaeb1327

Posted March 15, 2011 - 06:38 PM

I havent had a problem with mine. Never has come off. I hit a branch with it and my whole head went back but she sticks and hasnt moved! ahahaha Just make sure you degrease the surface really well.

• jsdigger

Posted March 15, 2011 - 07:26 PM

Mine has taken a few good hits and hasnt fallen off,if i hit tree limbs or branches i always check to make sure its still there.I've seen several vids of people crashing and they didnt fall off.ive used the suction cup on my helmet and on my buddies helmet and even the suction cup can take a hit.I always check to see if its still on my helmet maybe too much,sometimes i check to see if its there even when i don't have it on my helmet hahahaha.....

• Sharp Shooter

Posted March 15, 2011 - 07:27 PM

Finally bought myself a GoPro camera and will be mounting it to the side of my helmet but I'm paranoid about the adhesive holding on. Has anyone had their camera fall off? and has anyone done any costume mounting to the side of a helmet beside simply the 3M adhesive pads? Thanks

Mount it to the front. The video will come out much better.

Posted Image

• djshortbread

Posted March 15, 2011 - 07:41 PM

Mounted mine on the side and I've taken a few tumbles and it has not moved at all. Those adhesive mounts are solid.

• gdawg

Posted March 15, 2011 - 07:48 PM

Just got one too.

I like the idea of the above poster's front mount, but are alot of you mounting yours on the side like the helmet on the GoPro website/brochure?

How are top mount vids coming out?

AND...........what resolution setting are you guys using? (r1 - r5)

Thx

• Sharp Shooter

Posted March 15, 2011 - 08:34 PM

Just got one too.

I like the idea of the above poster's front mount, but are alot of you mounting yours on the side like the helmet on the GoPro website/brochure?

Thx

I prefer the 960 r4 setting because it's not as wide of a shot and does a better job of keeping the handlebars in view (4:3 aspect ratio). Plus, I like to ride behind my buddies to video them sometimes.

• nellauaeb1327

Posted March 16, 2011 - 05:59 AM

Just got one too.

Thx

Hey man! i mount my cam on the top of my helmet with the 720P 30 frame setting. I use 720 because videos take awhile to upload at my house, and you wont notice a difference in HD quality on youtube. But if you were watching on a big screen you would. Here is one of my go pro top mount videos.

• jr49erfan1

Posted March 16, 2011 - 08:53 AM

My buddy and I, who both run helmet side mounted GoPro HD's, have taken quite a few spills and never had a failure of the adhesive mount. As indicated above, clean the cr@p outta the surface (I normally use windex), and it will be good to go.

I have broken adjustment plastics (still no failure at the adhesive), above the adhesive mount, on my tail mounted, rear facing NON HD GoPro after a particularly hard and direct hit to it.

As for where to mount, for me I like the side helmet. I tried it on top and just didnt like the angle, just my opinion. And I always run R3, 720p at 60fps. I like the quality at that setting for slow-mo's.

Couple of other tips...

A 16GB SDHC card (I use 16 GB Patriot Class 6 cards and have never had a problem) will hold about 2.5 hours of video at the R3 setting, which is about as long as the battery will last.

Extra GoPro batterys are like $20 on eBay. My riding days are like 5 hours a pop, so I bring 2 SD cards and 2 batterys. Much easier than charging them (batterys)/or copying and wiping them (SD card) to a laptop on site.

And lastly, because I still worry about losing my cameras, print in a small but readable font, your email address, and telephone number, cut it out and scotch tape it to the camera itself (not the protective housing) SO THAT IT IS VISIBLE WHILE STILL IN THE HOUSING. If you do that, at least you have a chance of getting it back should someone else find it.

• djshortbread

Posted March 16, 2011 - 10:17 AM

I've done both the side and the top. It is all personal preference. I agree with jr49erfan1 in that the r3 setting (720 @ 60fps) if the way to go.

Here are a couple of pics so you can see what it might look like as far as top and side mount.

Posted Image

Posted Image

• CaptainKnobby

Posted March 16, 2011 - 05:47 PM

The 3M pads have the double sided tape which is in the 5952 family. In other words .....The 3M VHB (very high bond) is the best of the best.

Just wish I could find some somewhere.

• CaptainKnobby

Posted March 16, 2011 - 06:14 PM

The 3M tape that GoPro uses on their mounts is 4991

• gdawg

Posted March 17, 2011 - 06:51 PM

Thanks everyone!

• Hit_the_set

Posted March 18, 2011 - 11:06 AM

The 3M pads have the double sided tape which is in the 5952 family. In other words .....The 3M VHB (very high bond) is the best of the best.

Just wish I could find some somewhere.

You can get the same tape at Home Depot it's thicker but the same adhesive.

• mikedabike

Posted March 18, 2011 - 02:33 PM

I crashed and slid into a fence a couple weeks ago at around 40MPH. I had my go pro mounted to the top of the helmet. At some point the camera was forcibly removed from the helmet:bonk: The camera actually broke out of the mount which was still attached to the helmet. So long story short properly applied the adhesive is not the weak link in the mounting system.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

KTM 250XCF or XCFW vs Honda 250X vs Yamaha WR250F by heavenstrails

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 12 replies
Reviews

KTM 300 XC-W 2015 by Bryan Bosch

KTM 300 XC-W 2015
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Battery charging by motox745

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • 16 replies
Forums
Photo

1994 honda cr250 by goon_life427

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   Honda 2-Stroke
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

One Woman, One CRF250L, One World! by Steph J

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF250 L/M
  • Hot  453 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.