Can I upgrade to titanium valves on my 00 YZ426

6 replies to this topic
  • rjpyne

Posted April 16, 2001 - 10:20 AM

I am a bit ignorant so please help. I want to know if it is possible to upgrade my 2000 426 with the titanium valves and lighter springs and if so how much of a pain is it and how much does it cost? Thanks for your help.
Rob

• YZ400Court

Posted April 16, 2001 - 11:05 AM

Yes you can use TI valves in the 2000. The valves are around $51.00 each, springs about $10.00 each. The valve seats should be inspected and if ok lap the new valves to the seats, if damaged a valve job should be done. Also replace the valve spring keepers. It is a pain in the ass, but doable if you have some machanical ability. It is very important the shim buckets go back into the same loles so mark them.
Good luck

------------------
Pretend it's flat and give it the gas.

• Hick

Posted April 16, 2001 - 12:02 PM

I dunno…

I read that the Ti valves required a different valve guide AND seat material.

Of course this was in the same mag that said race gas would ruin my carb. But I would check around about the guide/seat material.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • YZ400Court

Posted April 16, 2001 - 12:34 PM

I checked the part numbers on the guides, and they are the same 2000 to 2001, but the complete head assy is a different number. The seat material may be different, or maybe just different valve angle, or maybe something totally unrelated to the valves. I bases my saying yes you can use the TI valves on a conversation with BK of Yamaha factory racing. He suggested I use the 2001 valve setup in my 98 400. I found a new 2001 426 engine instead :)

------------------

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted April 16, 2001 - 12:55 PM

YZcourt,
In that last comment are you saying you put a 2001 motor in your 98 YZ400!! or did you just splurge and buy the whole bike?

------------------
When in doubt, GAS IT!

• YZ400Court

Posted April 16, 2001 - 01:02 PM

Just the motor. My bike has all the goodies needed for desert racing, wheels, suspension, tank, upper and lower triple clamp, scotts stabilizer and shark fin, pro tapers, bark busters, brake lines, skid plate protection ect. I couldn't justify the new bike when I would just have to make all those mods again. I did however put my money down on a new KTM 520 mxc :). It should be here in the fall.

------------------

[This message has been edited by YZ400Court (edited 04-16-2001).]

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted April 16, 2001 - 01:37 PM

Sounds like a sweet ride!!!

------------------
When in doubt, GAS IT!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.