Glamis with a leaky fork seal

2 replies to this topic
  • ktmracer53

Posted March 14, 2011 - 02:13 PM

Hey guys im going to glamis this weekend and my forkseal just started leaking:bonk: and its not bad at all just a tiny bit of oil. The parts wont be here before i leave so how safe am i going with it leaking a little? Its gonna get replaced right after the trip anyway

The bike is a 2006 yz450f

Thanks guys! :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • crf450319

Posted March 14, 2011 - 05:15 PM

I wouldn't worry about it at all, you've got approx. 360 millileters of fluid in there. So long as it just started and it's a small amount you'll be fine, just keep an eye on it.

What you can try is take either some old picture negatives, a business card or a 0.001" feeler gauge and slide it underneath the lip of your dust seal/fork seal and run it around the circumference of the fork tube. You might just have a little tiny piece of crud causing the leak, and running something through there can sometimes be enough to fix the problem. If you want to make things a little easier, with the forks still on the bike (remove the front wheel) pop the dust seal out and that will expose the fork seal. Then you don't have to try to get the feeler gauge past the dust seal, and can visualize the fork seal.

• ktmracer53

Posted March 14, 2011 - 07:42 PM

Thanks man, i poped the dust seal off and looked at it, it looks fine but i cleaned it with a card and it still has a tiny shade of oil on the tube. Just gonna bring some oil if it starts leaking Bad. Thanks!

Related Content

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.