'05 WR450 Stalling/Backfiring

7 replies to this topic
  • hotthrottle613

Posted March 14, 2011 - 08:53 AM

I have read all the search results I could find and have not yet found my exact problem. Recently, the bike started backfiring and stalling, usually after about 15-20 minutes of riding. It idles fine at the truck or in the garage, but under a load the problem reappears. I've torn the carb down twice, rejetted to stock and checked and re-checked the valves. My computer water temp gauge indicates it is usually running at 180-200 degrees. The backfire is extremely loud, not just a little pop. It will re-fire for a few seconds then stall again. It also will act like it is not getting spark, but has spark when I check. The only thing I did before this started was to loosen the rectifier so that I could install a ground for my computer. Any suggestions???

Thanks,

Mark

• woods-rider

Posted March 14, 2011 - 09:03 AM

When was the last time you checked your valves? repacked your muffler (backfire issue)?

• dgcars

Posted March 14, 2011 - 09:07 AM

Go back to where you worked at the wiring. This sounds like an electrical problem.

• hotthrottle613

Posted March 14, 2011 - 09:36 AM

Go back to where you worked at the wiring. This sounds like an electrical problem.

Yeah, I'm also wondering if it might have to do with the coil where I wrapped the tach wire on.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jrutkows

Posted March 14, 2011 - 02:15 PM

I've run into two separate problems that were hard to troubleshoot, neither caused what you described but maybe worth a quick check.

1) The vent on my gas tank got plugged, if that happens only to minor degree so that a vacuum builds when you are using a lot of gas, then you could go lean. When you're riding and it happens, unscrew the gas cap and see if it goes away. Worth a quick try and should be easy to fix. (my case was actually the opposite and there was pressure building causing poor starting on the trail when ever I stopped for a few minutes)

2) My coil went bad, but only showed symptoms when the bike got hot, so it was intermittent and hard to diagnose. If you have access to a spare coil, it might be worth swapping to see if it goes away.

good luck...

• hotthrottle613

Posted March 14, 2011 - 08:10 PM

I've run into two separate problems that were hard to troubleshoot, neither caused what you described but maybe worth a quick check.

1) The vent on my gas tank got plugged, if that happens only to minor degree so that a vacuum builds when you are using a lot of gas, then you could go lean. When you're riding and it happens, unscrew the gas cap and see if it goes away. Worth a quick try and should be easy to fix. (my case was actually the opposite and there was pressure building causing poor starting on the trail when ever I stopped for a few minutes)

2) My coil went bad, but only showed symptoms when the bike got hot, so it was intermittent and hard to diagnose. If you have access to a spare coil, it might be worth swapping to see if it goes away.

good luck...

I know the fuel tank is okay; I have a side tank and the bike has run poorly when running off of it also. I will check the coil tomorrow; I believe that is most likely the culprit. Thanks for the input everyone!

• dragon

Posted March 15, 2011 - 05:17 AM

that happened to me last week, had a tuneup n noted sprkplugs contact already used up, i checked pipe exhaust connections n it wasnt sealed well so i used high temp sealant n bike runs very well now

• hotthrottle613

Posted April 17, 2011 - 11:34 PM

Sorry it has taken me so long to respond with an answer to this thread. It did indeed turn out to be an electrical issue. I had installed a new trail tech vapor computer and when I followed the directions to install the rpm wire to the coil, I somehow caused the spark to respond in an intermittant way. When I removed the rpm wire, the bike fired right up and is running extremely well. There has been no issue with starting and it runs like it was brand new. I can live without the rpm reading for now; I'll worry about that later. Thanks to those that led me in the direction of an electrical issue!

Edited by hotthrottle613, April 17, 2011 - 11:35 PM.
Spelling sucks when you've had a couple of drinks!!!!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.