stupid question? ignition wire broken?

5 replies to this topic
  • OrangeMan73

Posted March 13, 2011 - 07:41 PM

Forgive me for sounding stupid, and I have tried researching this to no avail, but my ignition wire came out of my spark plug cap tonight while doing some maintenance. The wires appear super corroded, so I scrubbed 'em up clean, but they're exposed. I'm wondering if I need to pick up a new wire assembly, or is it normal for the wire to come out and you can just plug it back into the spark plug cap?

• Bkew

Posted March 13, 2011 - 08:40 PM

Would be better to get a new line, you dont want that giving out while riding........

• OrangeMan73

Posted March 13, 2011 - 09:13 PM

I did some more research and it looks like u can just buy the ignition boxes without the plug cap... so how would u rewire such a thing?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Birdy426

Posted March 13, 2011 - 10:09 PM

You would need a coil-on-cap such as from an YZ or WR 450, R1, R6, Hayabusa, etc. They all carry the same Denso part number, and are available on e-Bay pretty cheap. Try to get one with the connector. If you can't, . Do a search in the DRZ forum and my user name and you can the motorcraft part number that your local auto parts store of Ford dealer can order. Then, the wire that was going to the spade connector onthe coil gets attached to one side of the new coil, and the other side goes to ground. There are several threads in the WR and YZ forums that cover the details.

• OrangeMan73

Posted March 14, 2011 - 05:26 AM

Posted Image

Ya... there might be some confusion by what I said. In the pic above, you can see what I am talking about where its disconnected. And in the link below, you can see where they sell ignition coils without the plug cap... so how would you rewire the plug cap back to the ignition coil?

• OrangeMan73

Posted March 14, 2011 - 07:18 PM

Never mind, if this holds true:,

then I have nothing to worry about. Thanks for the help though you all!

Related Content

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.