Gearing

7 replies to this topic
  • kx80boy

Posted March 12, 2011 - 11:13 AM

I have a 2006 wr 450 with stock gearing. I just put a baja designs kit on it. I was just want to know if the stock gearing would be ok for the street or do I need to change it? Thanks:banana:

• MaxPower

Posted March 12, 2011 - 11:40 AM

[COLOR="Green"]that depends how much road riding you are going to do with it.
Dirtbikes run out of gears quickly on the road[/COLOR]

• WR450FGreg

Posted March 12, 2011 - 01:00 PM

Definately gear it up.
(ie. larger front, smaller rear. Some call this gearing down, whatever!)

When I had mine geared for the road (mind you, with 17" motard rims) I think I had something like 16 tooth front and 42 rear or thereabouts. (Sorry, can't recall exactly what it was now.)

Take it for a run on the stock gearing and you'll soon see why you need to gear up!

Greg

• howard113

Posted March 12, 2011 - 01:18 PM

I have a 2006 wr 450 with stock gearing. I just put a baja designs kit on it. I was just want to know if the stock gearing would be ok for the street or do I need to change it? Thanks:banana:

sprocket calculator.com

for street riding,i would go up a tooth or 2 on the front sprocket.it will add lots of top speed and take away torque

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MPNX2

Posted March 13, 2011 - 09:32 AM

http://advrider.com/...highlight=Wr450

see the link listed above... Lots of info on setting these bikes up for DS duty....

• djv5

Posted March 13, 2011 - 01:04 PM

I believe your stock front sprocket is a 14 tooth. Go +1 tooth on the front sprocket and you will be fine.

Anything larger than +1 will require you to mod/remove the case saver.

Edited by djv5, March 13, 2011 - 03:01 PM.

• cjyota322

Posted March 13, 2011 - 01:13 PM

I also have an 06, your stock front sproket is a 14 tooth, mine is street legal and geared up 1 in the front and its perfect for the street, does about 94mph! i'm goin back down to stock in the front and up 2 in the rear cuz i dont ride it on the street much anymore cuz it eats up tires too fast and i just started doin some hairscrambles and its a little too tall of a gear for tight trails. Go with a 15 tooth front sprocket on the front and you'll be happy with it,you probably won't even have to get a a new chain whereas you would b more likely to need a smaller chain if you went down on your rear sprocket.

• YamaLink

Posted March 15, 2011 - 09:25 AM

Definitely stock gearing is not the way to go. I'd go 1 up in front for sure and then see what works best in back.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.