2011 YZ450F Exhaust Dent

14 replies to this topic
  • Pmason718

Posted March 12, 2011 - 06:31 AM

Hey my exhaust has a dent on the underside of the stock can. The bike is brand new and the dealer says its suppose to be there so that when you bottom out you damage the brake reservoir does this sound correct

• YamaLink

Posted March 12, 2011 - 06:48 AM

I'm in my pajamas sipping coffee, and the bikes are loaded, but as far as I can remember pretty much all my 4 strokes have the same thing. And my two strokes do too, eventually, after my nephews take 'em for a ride. :thumbsup:

• Pmason718

Posted March 12, 2011 - 06:50 AM

This is a brand new bike never ridden off the show room floor and I don't think this is suppose to be there

Posted Image

Edited by Pmason718, March 12, 2011 - 07:23 AM.

• locomike

Posted March 12, 2011 - 08:34 AM

This is a brand new bike never ridden off the show room floor and I don't think this is suppose to be there

Posted Image

It looks like it was made by a machine, not an impact. I bet it is supposed to be there.

• norcal_hoss

Posted March 12, 2011 - 08:47 AM

I just looked at mine and yes it suppose to be there.

• dgcars

Posted March 12, 2011 - 09:03 AM

Defo factory

• DPW

Posted March 12, 2011 - 09:30 AM

factory dent....since '98...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • brentn

Posted March 12, 2011 - 02:24 PM

It happens because when the bike is in the crate, the suspension linkage is detached from the shock. The swing-arm is fully compressed into the sub frame, and if you look it retains the shape of the top of the rear brake caliper. Whether it happens during shipping, or if it is contoured purposely to compact the bike better, I don't know. Most stock yammys have it, some don't.
No big deal really, just get used to it. You wanna ditch that can anyways as it restricts flow quite a bit with the end cap.

• grayracer513

Posted March 12, 2011 - 03:31 PM

It happens because when the bike is in the crate, the suspension linkage is detached from the shock. The swing-arm is fully compressed into the sub frame, and if you look it retains the shape of the top of the rear brake caliper. Whether it happens during shipping, or if it is contoured purposely to compact the bike better, I don't know. Most stock yammys have it, some don't.

Oh, BS. :thumbsup:

Pardon me for being quite that blunt, but that dent has, as DPW said, been there since '98 on every single OEM muffler on every YZ4**anything that was ever built. It's clearance for the brake caliper, and it was done when the can was formed and stamped. If it had happened as a result of any direct contact between the can and any part of the chassis, the finish of the area would bear the scratches from it, and it doesn't.

• RJacks

Posted March 12, 2011 - 03:33 PM

No big deal really, just get used to it. You wanna ditch that can anyways as it restricts flow quite a bit with the end cap.

Wait....What?

That dent is supposed to be there, and what bikes have you seen in the crate? Every bike I have built from the crate comes with the rear suspension fully connected, and at full travel. The dent is there when the suspension does bottom, it lines up with either the banjo bolt or the top of the bracket, can't remember exactly.

• 03SVT

Posted March 12, 2011 - 03:37 PM

yea i used to work at yamaha and the only bikes i ever installed suspension on was the ATVs. and that was always just the front. ive never opened a crated dirt bike that didnt already have all the suspension installed....

• PitBikeNoob

Posted March 12, 2011 - 03:44 PM

Its there so if you fully bottom out you dont damage the can or brakes :thumbsup:

• BKRacing

Posted March 12, 2011 - 04:00 PM

Hey my exhaust has a dent on the underside of the stock can. The bike is brand new and the dealer says its suppose to be there so that when you bottom out you damage the brake reservoir does this sound correct

My 05 WR has it. Same thing.

• Pmason718

Posted March 12, 2011 - 04:29 PM

thank for the info guys. I actually went to the dealership to check. You guys r right

• brentn

Posted March 12, 2011 - 05:24 PM

Oh, BS. :thumbsup:

Pardon me for being quite that blunt, but that dent has, as DPW said, been there since '98 on every single OEM muffler on every YZ4**anything that was ever built. It's clearance for the brake caliper, and it was done when the can was formed and stamped. If it had happened as a result of any direct contact between the can and any part of the chassis, the finish of the area would bear the scratches from it, and it doesn't.

Well I can tell you that the stock can on my 2005 yz250 did not have the dent at all. But on my brothers old 2001 yz250 the dent was there on his stock can. Didn't know that you were so easily offended by what I said, maybe I should have been more presice saying that 'this is what I think it is'. Did I not just say that it may be countoured purposely or it was a dent and that I did not know??? lol.

Rjacks, I was building another brand bike out of the crate and it had the linkage fully disconnected and the swing arm fully compressed with the front wheel off. I assumed yamaha did it too, guess I was wrong.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.