What do you think of this bike.

19 replies to this topic
  • MINGHAG

Posted March 10, 2011 - 04:28 PM

I'm in the market for a new bike and stumbled across this.

http://pittsburgh.cr...2255598010.html

It appears to be in good shape. What's your thoughts on the older 426s?
And how much and how often is maintenance on these.
Thanks

• ARin

Posted March 10, 2011 - 04:37 PM

not bad. no e-start on those model though. 426 makes good power, and are super reliable. every bit as good as the newer engines.

• kjr247

Posted March 10, 2011 - 05:42 PM

I got the 400 version. The bike needs a strong leg. They start easy with a boot on and when tuned right. I love mine. Runs like a scalded dogg. You will not be disappointed.

• Yamiryder

Posted March 10, 2011 - 05:47 PM

i'm not sure if i buy that it has only 339 miles, but it still looks like a good bike

• 02WR426Cali

Posted March 11, 2011 - 07:34 AM

Yeah I don't really buy the mileage either, but the bike does look like it's in great shape from here. Up close who knows? Offer him $1800 see if he'll take it.
Once you know the starting drill with the decompression lever these bikes start first kick and are easy to kick. You don't have to kick hard, just use one full smooth kick. They are extrememly reliable and fun bikes when you take care of them like they are meant to be. Hardly any maitenance at all! Change the oil often and check the valves at least once a year depending on how much you ride, grease the bearings every now and then and you will be good to go.
I've had my 426 since new and have never had anything break or wear out, well besides the plastic rear brake rotor guard. All parts that I have replaced have been to make it better and my own doing. Some I may regret as I'm having issues with my bike currently haha but it's my own fault not the bikes.

• miweber929

Posted March 11, 2011 - 11:50 AM

It's looks clean, but I totally agree the mileage is BS. I believe those have a resettable trip meter and not an actual odometer, correct? Mine was off of my 04 when I bought it and has a Vapor so I don't know for sure if they were or not.

$2k is OK, but to me feels a little high. $1500 is much better and $1750 would be a good middle ground if it's completely ready to go with good chain and sprockets and tires.

Mike

• byggd

Posted March 11, 2011 - 01:50 PM

Sum-ting-wong. 339 Miles and it needed a new chain/sprockets? If you are close by go take a look or see if they will send close-up pictures of the motor etc.

• Colorado Fatboy

Posted March 11, 2011 - 05:40 PM

That is the same year as mine, picked it up last Nov for $1700. don't know how many miles but it had the original tires. You will not be disappointed! Once you figure out how to start it it's not a problem. Mine had been sitting for almost 5 years so I had to do some carb. work and such. Also don't know how he can say mileage when these bikes do not have odometers from the factory.

I'd take a look and see what you think, the WR426 is a beast!:thumbsup:

• 02WR426Cali

Posted March 11, 2011 - 06:54 PM

Yes the WRs did have odometers from the factory. Odometer, tripometer whatever you want to call it. It runs off the front hub and goes up to 999 miles and then resets back to 000. My guess is that it has 1339 miles at least if it needs a new chain and sprockets. Of course if the chain was super loose I guess it could wear really fast also, but I wouldn't think in only 339 miles. Then again he only said "new sprockets and chain" that doesn't mean he needed them. Maybe he wanted different gearing or some aftermarket parts, etc.

• Colorado Fatboy

Posted March 12, 2011 - 06:35 AM

Yes the WRs did have odometers from the factory. Odometer, tripometer whatever you want to call it. It runs off the front hub and goes up to 999 miles and then resets back to 000. My guess is that it has 1339 miles at least if it needs a new chain and sprockets. Of course if the chain was super loose I guess it could wear really fast also, but I wouldn't think in only 339 miles. Then again he only said "new sprockets and chain" that doesn't mean he needed them. Maybe he wanted different gearing or some aftermarket parts, etc.

It's a Tripometer from the factory, it is RESETTABLE, Odometer is not resettable. Seeing how this is a 10 year old machine I hardly think this could be used as an accurate indicator of actual mileage.

Trying to analyze the condition and why parts were changed without seeing the bike and asking the owner is just a waste of time. It's pretty easy to tell if it's 339 miles or not. Anybody who has spent any time looking at used bikes will be able to tell right away. Most 10 year old bikes are in about the same condition, beat to crap. Every once in a while you get lucky like I did and find one that spent most of it's time sitting in a garage.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • DSM_Tambo

Posted March 12, 2011 - 07:01 AM

Anybody ever see an OEM speedo like this one?

Posted Image

• THE CYBERDEMON

Posted March 12, 2011 - 10:56 AM

Shop around some more, I picked up my 2004 wr450 for 1800 a month ago with 900 miles on it. I am loving the electric start compared to my 98 wr400.

• MINGHAG

Posted March 13, 2011 - 06:59 PM

I'll probably hold out on this one. But in general how do these 426 engines perform, and how reliable are they. Do they need the maintenance of a 450t race bike?

• 02WR426Cali

Posted March 13, 2011 - 09:14 PM

Change the oil often and check the valves now and then and you will enjoy a 426 for a long time. They are proven reliable and are overbuilt in a sense, that's one reason why they are so heavy. Plenty of power with a fun powerband that has a hit in the mid - top range.

• whoops dude

Posted March 14, 2011 - 08:47 AM

mileage might be correct. my 05 450 of which I am the original owner has just under 600 on it. college really hampers riding time. go check it out.

• Strattos

Posted March 14, 2011 - 05:31 PM

As others have said re maintenance/reliability. Bulletproof for a modern-day four-stroke.

Having gone from a 426 to an 08 450 several years ago, I'd actually say the older motor is more exciting to ride. Definitely has more of a hit in the mid range and top end.

Only downside of that is it tends to wear you out (well, me anyway!) during longer trail rides or races - that's one of the things I've noticed, but could be my lack of fitness.

The other thing is the steel-frame bikes are much easier to work on when checking valves or adjusting the carb - but you shouldn't have to do major work on the carb that often.

• MINGHAG

Posted March 14, 2011 - 05:46 PM

I've finally talked to the owner. He said the bike had around 315 miles when he bought it. He said he is 59 years and and just haven't had the strength to kickstart it any more. So he just parked it and let it sit. I was able to get him to $1800. I'll try to check it out this weekend.

• MANIAC998

Posted March 14, 2011 - 06:17 PM

Congrats! And let us know how it runs! Maniac

• clamp007

Posted March 15, 2011 - 08:10 PM

Well I had an 02 426 & I now have an 05 450. My 426 was a little lighter & I swear on my life, just the most solid & reliable machine. The only issue was when I went on long rides & dumped the bike on a hill, I was stuck on a slope with rocks & it was really tough to find neutral & put the kickstand down to kick it. And you really did need to get right up on the bike to kick it. SO, what I did was install an $89 hotcam & the dealer installed it for an hour's labor. It was the best mod ever. Basically it's an auto-decompress & I no longer needed the lever. It was super easy to jumpstart it(which was very tough before) & it was easy to kick start. So I'd say get the 426 for about $1800 & get a hotcam. It will be a great bike.
I sold mine in great condition with a White Bros pipe & a hotcam.....for 1700.

• wr426Ripper

Posted March 18, 2011 - 06:48 AM

Nice looking bike but how long do you expect it to look like that? You will LOVE that bike. Tons of power and torque. I have a 2001 wr426 also, did all the free mods and the thing screams (i only weigh 170lbs) alot of bike for 170lbs but it is easy to hold on to and maneuver. I ride trails and track with mine and it does everything i ask it to. Starting the bike is really no big issue. Get the bike tuned, follow these simple instructions and it will fire up on the first or second kick everytime lIke mine (usually on the first kick even after sitting for a month). 1st put into neutral. 2nd slowly press kick starter till it stops at top dead center (point where it seems to stop). 3rd pull decomp lever and pusk kick start down 1-2 inches. 4th let go of decomp lever. 5th kick it over and it will start (if tuned correctly) HAVE FUN!!!!!!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.