starter clutch

2 replies to this topic
  • thumpawoody

Posted August 04, 2003 - 04:45 AM

Ive noticed a lot ot of postings about failed woodruff keys.
is any one having early failures on starter clutches or starter motors.
so far i have had 2 starter clutches fail(1 at 1200km and 1 at 2400km) and 1 starter motor. my bike starts better on the kick start than the button.
as far as i can see the only difference between the usa bike and the oz bike is a more restricted exhaust on the oz

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • toyota_mdt_tech

Posted August 04, 2003 - 01:51 PM

Are you throttling it as soon as it starts up?. This creates lot of wear on the "overrunning clutch", only snap the throttle after the starter is disengadged. Its my only thought :) :D

• thumpawoody

Posted August 04, 2003 - 04:37 PM

not using throttle at all, only hot start.
this seems to be common with the other stock 450's that ive seen in oz perhaps the problem lies in the mods that have been done for the australian . the exhaust

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.