Lightweight flywheel

2 replies to this topic
  • ejk450

Posted March 09, 2011 - 07:36 PM

Noob here, both on the forum and to bikes. Let me start by saying i have been riding quads for a few years and just traded my honda 450 for a 2003yz450f. The bike has a lightweight flywheel on it. Will this take away some of the rideability away from the bike on trails? I dont know how the stock yz's are but the bike revs really quick. It will def take some getting used to before i get comfortable getting more aggressive with the throttle. Any tips on taming it down for the first season of riding? Yea i know i should have gotten a smaller bike but the deal was to sweet. Thanks,

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • brentn

Posted March 09, 2011 - 07:49 PM

I don't know of any flywheel that's lighter than stock.

My 2010 450 has the stock flywheel and all I ride is trails, I def have to keep the idle up around 2100rpm in order to prevent stalling once the clutch warms up. If you don't, ever time you start off fast, then go to a crawl, then pull in the clutch it will stall. At 2100 rpm when you do this you can here the engine start to fade, but it doesn't stall :thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted March 10, 2011 - 08:15 AM

There is no flywheel lighter than stock, and I doubt you could make one any lighter if you wanted to. The PO probably meant that the bike had the stock wheel on it. To your question, yes, that is a handicap for trail riding, and adding a 10-12 ounce weight is advisable.

Related Content

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.