IMS Tank Fitment Problems

3 replies to this topic
  • Flan

Posted March 08, 2011 - 09:01 PM

Hey, Just bought a used IMS 3.1 gallon fuel tank for my 08 YZ450F. everything seems to fit up just fine except the front of the tank, where its kind of just hovering over where the old one would screw in... There are two screw holes on the tank that look like would fit some sort of mount but neither off the old tank would work. Right now the front of the tank is only being supported by the shrouds connecting to the radiator which allows the tank to wiggle around. Does anyone know what I am talking about or know about a mount I can purchase?

Here are pics of the tank

Posted Image

you can kind of see the mount holes on the tank here

Posted Image

You can see where the tank floats over the frame mount, there is about an inch from the indent on the tank to the mount. It looks like who ever previously used it had something rubbing against that indent since there is some wear and scuffs on the inside

Thanks!

• Jim813

Posted March 08, 2011 - 09:11 PM

Hey, Just bought a used IMS 3.1 gallon fuel tank for my 08 YZ450F. everything seems to fit up just fine except the front of the tank, where its kind of just hovering over where the old one would screw in... There are two screw holes on the tank that look like would fit some sort of mount but neither off the old tank would work. Right now the front of the tank is only being supported by the shrouds connecting to the radiator which allows the tank to wiggle around. Does anyone know what I am talking about or know about a mount I can purchase?

I will post pics soon to show what I am talking about

Thanks!

You should have received a mount that bolts to the original mounting position of the stock tank, which then bolts to the two screw holes you speak of. I would contact the seller about the mount, or call IMS directly and ask about a replacement.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • OUTERLIMITS

Posted March 09, 2011 - 10:01 AM

Yep, the stock mount does not work, you need the one from IMS. Because the IMS tank goes farther forward, it actually covers the mount. So you have to first bolt the mount to the frame and then after you mount your tank the top part of the mount bolts into the tank where the two holes are.

Pretty strange that someone gave you the tank, but not the front mount. That mount will not work on any other tank that I know of.

• Flan

Posted March 09, 2011 - 06:03 PM

Yep, the stock mount does not work, you need the one from IMS. Because the IMS tank goes farther forward, it actually covers the mount. So you have to first bolt the mount to the frame and then after you mount your tank the top part of the mount bolts into the tank where the two holes are.

Pretty strange that someone gave you the tank, but not the front mount. That mount will not work on any other tank that I know of.

Thank you, that is what I wanted to know. I have contacted the seller to see if they can find the mount. I just wanted to make sure that such a mount existed as I can't seem to find one online anywhere, even the IMS website. I guess if the seller can't seem to find it I will contact IMS directly and get one from them.

Thanks again!

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.