Another Newbie Here With Questions....'03 WR450
Posted March 08, 2011 - 08:24 PM
1. I plan to ride this bike to an from work, 38miles each way. It is stop and go traffic with no more than 2 miles of non-stop riding. Speed about 55mph. Could I do this without worry of problems?
2. What kind of maintenance would prolong the life of this bike.
3. What is the "Woodruff Key Issue" and did his mod help the problem?
4.I heard about an oil issue with these motors. Could you please give me details?
5. How often should I replace the piston and ring as preventitive maintenance?
6. Can you give me some detailed things to check when I look at it?
I want to be sure this is a good buy. I am doing this to save some money on fuel and don't want to pour money into this bike and defeat the purpose of buying it. Thanks again
Posted March 08, 2011 - 08:28 PM
Posted March 09, 2011 - 01:12 AM
2. Factory manual says 600 miles between oil changes but most of guys here agree that even after 300 miles oil is pretty much degraded and needs to be replaced. Nothing except of this, its yammie
3. Woodruff key issue affects 03 wr450-s when the starter was added first, backfire when cranking the motor could create enough torque to shear the flywheel key, there are some updated components that you can throw in and use the starter again, but it will cost you some bucks, there is a thread out there about the conversion, try search button if interested.
4. No issues at all, just frequent changes(hey, it's a race bike!) and thats all. 2 holes to drain the oil, 1 hole to fill, thats all.
5. 200 hours on motor is a good point to think about a top end job. But still, never heard of motor blowing because of missed piston/rings maintenance.
6. Check rear chock for leaks, oil signs on bottom bumper. Also check for smooth operation of rear suspension as the bearing could have seized because of lack of greasing. Check for play in wheel bearings and steering head bearing. Try to get info from the owner about how often has he changed the oil.
Posted March 09, 2011 - 05:01 AM
If you are planning to use something as a dirt bike on weekends I'd suggest a DRZ400s as it has a fan for the radiator and is an adequate dirt bike. Otherwise if you are tall enough an XR650L got me to and from 17 miles one way in Minneapolis traffic for 2 years. Also, a UJM is a MUCH better commuter than anything you are talking about and will not be as likely to get stolen. At work there I a guy who has a 750 Yamaha triple for $600 that is high on my list for a possible gas saver. Oil changes and general maint alone on any off-road only bike will negate the gas savings your looking for.
All the other questions were answered already or just do a search and you'll find em. No true dual sport will be comfy for your saddle time without some work. Give us some more info and maybe we can understand more why the WR is being considered. Trust me, as easy as the WR is to kick. The last thing you want to do in traffic after work is kickstart a bike or get home and change oil once a week to fall within the 300-500 mile range.
Edited by miweber929, March 09, 2011 - 12:38 PM.
Posted March 09, 2011 - 07:14 AM
Posted March 09, 2011 - 12:41 PM
Posted March 09, 2011 - 03:59 PM
besides the DRZ, I'd also look at XR650L's, and the KLR 650's
Edited by CanadianWR450, March 09, 2011 - 03:59 PM.
my spelling sucks
Posted March 09, 2011 - 04:08 PM
Posted March 09, 2011 - 04:13 PM