2001 yz 426 hot cams

4 replies to this topic
  • outrunner_57

Posted March 08, 2011 - 06:11 PM

I was thinking of buying a aftermarket exhaust cam for my 426 and wanted to know if it would be safe to just get the exhaust cam, or should I just save up and buy bolth. Is there any thing I should know about installing aftermarket cams?

• 02WR426Cali

Posted March 08, 2011 - 09:10 PM

Yes run just the exhaust if you are looking for auto decomp. you will be good to go. I have one in my bike, just line up the timing marks and all will be fine. The only thing gained will be the auto decomp. no power increase unless you use both intake and exhaust hotcams. So the company says...
You will need to get rid of the manual decomp lever that goes into the head and use a plug. I just cut off the end of the shaft inside on mine and used it instead of buying a plug. Some aftermarket plugs have leaked I've read.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • outrunner_57

Posted March 09, 2011 - 11:06 AM

Hey thanks. Did you install your cam by yourself?

• 02WR426Cali

Posted March 09, 2011 - 11:59 AM

Yes I did

• byggd

Posted March 10, 2011 - 09:26 AM

You can always install an OE YZ ex cam from a 03 YZ450. It will smooth out the power band and pull longer on the top end. I think i remember reading that the WR and YZ share the same intake cam for 2001-02.
Posted Image

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.