Oven cleaner to remove anodizing

3 replies to this topic
  • Eagle426

Posted March 08, 2011 - 05:16 PM

Has anyone used Easy Off oven cleaner to remove an anodized coating?

I have a 2004 CRF80 (wifes) and it normally has silver/gray hubs. Well the bike has an older XR80 front wheel with the black hub.

Instead of buying a new wheel or messing around with relacing a new hub, I wondered how hard it would be to remove the black coating.

• KJ790

Posted March 08, 2011 - 05:22 PM

I don't think the black coating on those is anodize.

But to answer your question, I have used oven cleaner to remove anodize and it is a pain in the butt to get it all off. It fades it a ton, but to get it stripped completely takes a while. Soaking the part in a mixture of lye and water for a couple minutes works much better.

• Eagle426

Posted March 09, 2011 - 05:30 PM

I don't think the black coating on those is anodize.

But to answer your question, I have used oven cleaner to remove anodize and it is a pain in the butt to get it all off. It fades it a ton, but to get it stripped completely takes a while. Soaking the part in a mixture of lye and water for a couple minutes works much better.

Thanks for the input! If it is not anodizing, I wonder what type of coating it is. Is it more like a powdercoating?

• bill tolen

Posted March 10, 2011 - 10:57 PM

bead blast it.just a thought.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.