100LL AV Gas in 450F

5 replies to this topic
  • wags450

Posted March 08, 2011 - 01:17 PM

I know there is a million topics like this one here I did a search already and didnt find the actual answer I was looking for. I have done a lot of reading on this but it seems everyone is asking for their 2 strokes and 100LL vs VP race gas.

My question is will running 100LL affect my 08 YZ450F in a negative way?

I live by an airport and can get fuel for about $1 a gallon more than the ethanol contained 91 pump gas I can get everywhere else.

Is it worth it to not have the ethanol content? Do I need to add anything in the fuel to protect my engine?

• grayracer513

Posted March 08, 2011 - 02:05 PM

It might, and unless your local pump gas is 10% or more ethanol, it won't do much positive, either.

In the first place, you don't need 100 octane, so you will get nothing from that. Anything more that you spend to get more than a pump grade of 91 (91AKI, 95 Research, or ~87 Motor Octane) is a pure waste of money because a pump 91 will prevent detonation, and that's all the octane number does.

The lead will not help, either, and can actually damage engines intended to run on unleaded fuels if it's allowed to build up in carbon deposits.

AvGas of any kind will also have an incorrect vaporization rate generally unsuited to extremely high rpm engines with very short intake tracts operated at low altitudes in high temperatures (in aircraft terms that would be below 6000 feet and above 50 degrees Fahrenheit). The fuel chemistry is almost certain to be a higher quality, than emissions automotive pump fuels, so some good may come of it overall. If, as I already mentioned, your local pump gas is basically junk, than it may be worthwhile, depending on what it costs. But it will not be an ideal fuel.

• wags450

Posted March 08, 2011 - 02:26 PM

Thanks Gray I figured that you would have the answer.

So basically stick to the 91 pump and keep it fresh?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted March 08, 2011 - 04:24 PM

That's what I do in San Diego County. I use ARCO because it's cheap and usually fresh, and the blend we have at this end of the state seems to run fine for me. Zero fuel problems. (the other dirty little secret is that it's the exact same gasoline that Chevron sells, just with BP's additives instead of Chevron's) It just wouldn't be worth the expense for me to go after something that would cost 50 or 60 or 100+% more and not "fix" anything.

But in some parts of the country, or even the state, it could be different.

• Jim813

Posted March 08, 2011 - 06:33 PM

I know there is a million topics like this one here I did a search already and didnt find the actual answer I was looking for. I have done a lot of reading on this but it seems everyone is asking for their 2 strokes and 100LL vs VP race gas.

I live by an airport and can get fuel for about $1 a gallon more than the ethanol contained 91 pump gas I can get everywhere else.

Is it worth it to not have the ethanol content? Do I need to add anything in the fuel to protect my engine?

I know a guy who uses it in every bike he owns. I've never heard of any negative effects from his personal experience, and he is very meticulous and a competent mechanic. It does smell nice.

I personally don't use it, as grayracer said, because my bike doesn't need it.

• wags450

Posted March 08, 2011 - 06:33 PM

Got you. Im in the LA Area and it seems that the gas has turned to crap up here. I notice when I ride and fill up in Temecula riding out that way the bike seems to run better.

Thanks for the help

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.