2008 No spark

7 replies to this topic
  • FiremanKay

Posted March 07, 2011 - 05:20 PM

I Just put in new rings and cam chain. Put the bike back together and it started right up, took it to the track and it ran great or so I though. Motor felt great down low but when I would get high in the RPM it would seem to cut out. Carb issue I though. Messed with it a little and thought I had it worked out and was going pretty good on a section in 4th and then "blahhhhhh" "pop" dead. I was unable to get it to start back up after that, new plug and all. So now I have found that I have no coolant and no spark. Checked for TDC via screw driver method, all good there. Looks like the coolant is mixing with my oil, guess that could be the head gasket, no big deal there. So I guess I'm stumped with the lack of spark. I did DC the kill switch to rule that out. I have read through a few other threads but does not seem they had the same isue as me. I plan to check the woodruff tomorrow.

• grayracer513

Posted March 08, 2011 - 11:18 AM

If you checked the TDC marks by comparing them to actual piston position, the key is OK. Start with the tests in the manual for the stator.

• rickallen124

Posted March 08, 2011 - 11:28 AM

Broken/loose stators where common on the 06/07. When I replaced the timing chain on my 08 a shop recommended that I use loctite on the torx screws that hold the stator plate to the cover because they had seen them come loose.

• FiremanKay

Posted March 08, 2011 - 11:44 AM

If you checked the TDC marks by comparing them to actual piston position, the key is OK. Start with the tests in the manual for the stator.

Okay, that makes sense then. Which gasket is the head, its the lower one of the two gaskets right? I dont want to do them both is I dont have to. I will test the stator per manual tonight but I never removed it, but I guess that doesnt have anything to do with it going bad. Thanks for the help.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted March 08, 2011 - 11:49 AM

Water can enter the oil at 3 joints:
  • Right side crankcase cover at the crankcase
  • Cylinder base at the crankcase (base gasket)
  • Head at the cylinder (head gasket)

• FiremanKay

Posted March 10, 2011 - 04:37 PM

Ok so I got spark. A screw came out of the stator and the other was loose :thumbsup:. Pulling the motor tomorrow to get it out, going to replace the gaskets while I'm at it. I used the Tusk gasket kit, are these junk? I was thinking for going OEM this time around but didnt know if there was something a lot of people found to work well. I also think I may have over torqued the head, My wrench doesnt do well with low numbers, would that make it leak?
Thanks again for the help.

• grayracer513

Posted March 10, 2011 - 09:58 PM

Are you sure the screw was ever there? Some YZ's have three holes in the stator, but use two screws.

• FiremanKay

Posted March 11, 2011 - 01:46 PM

Yea I know it only had 2 and 1 is missing :thumbsup:

Related Content

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.