01 426 top end advice needed

1 reply to this topic
  • Digger01

Posted March 07, 2011 - 07:50 AM

Hello everyone,

Thanks in advance to any advice because it is needed. Trying to save money so I opened up the beast due to blue smoke, 10 years of unknown maintenance and to hopefully install timing chain, piston and 450 cam. I am the second owner (4yrs) and it seems to be all OEM.
Before disassembly I checked my valve clearance;
Intakes were all 004” with shims of 2-180 and 1- 190 (most left).
Exhaust was .007” with 1 shim-180 and 1-unreadable.
Does my head need work?

The head looks good, seems like no damage in the cam caps or saddles, no sign of the valves hitting. I still need to perform valve fluid seal test. Should I just order valves and seals? Or Send to a shop for new valve seats/seals and valves?
Cylinder little scoured on exhaust side, after cleaning no visible scratches no scouring but I don’t have a bore measurer. Can I just hone this? Send to shop to measure?
The piston seems oem and doesn’t show any sign of hitting the valves. Can I just order new Piston kit (JE) with High compression?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Digger01

Posted March 07, 2011 - 07:52 AM

sorry for no photos but here is a link to photoshop

Related Content

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.