'06 450 Durability?

15 replies to this topic
  • Warrior1053

Posted March 06, 2011 - 08:46 PM

I have an '06 450 with 109 Vet ridden hours on the meter. I am the original owner. I have ridden only on hardpack and only a few times in mud--of which I cleaned well. I only weigh 150 lbs and don't feel that I am putting high loads on the tranny and clutch at all--at least it doesn't feel like it. I had a shop install a Weisco top end kit on it and hone the cylinder at 75 hours. They said the top end was is great condition. I have had the forks and shock serviced 3 times. The whole bike is in prisitne condition. I am currently cash strapped for an '11 and have had a few freinds tell me that I don't need a new bike--that my Yami 5-valve has alot of time left on it. Any comments on the hour durability of this bike?

• eazrider

Posted March 07, 2011 - 09:18 AM

I bought an '06 new, and have ridden it 3 times per month since, and have gone through 22 rear tires. (don't have an hour meter, but each ride is a min of 35-40 hors, about 6 rides per tire) I bought a new 2010 and now my 23 year old son is kicking my but on that '06. The first engine maintenance (other than an oil change every 3rd ride using the Delco Diesel) was done just recently, one valve needed to be adjusted. While admittedly the bike is set up more for my riding style, I enjoyed the '06 every bit as much as my new '10....I think the '10 has more potential, but there is absolutely nothing to frown about with that '06......

• cowboyona426

Posted March 07, 2011 - 09:34 AM

Your 06 has TONS of life left.

• Troutman

Posted March 07, 2011 - 07:23 PM

My 06 was, which I rode the snot out of, was a rock when it came to reliability. It's a great bike and my 10 seems to be just as reliable. :thumbsup:

• cowboyona426

Posted March 08, 2011 - 06:53 AM

Troutman are you MX or a trail rider?

• ktmracer53

Posted March 08, 2011 - 08:23 PM

Well my 06 has 48.9 hours and running perfect haha.

• YamaLink

Posted March 09, 2011 - 06:39 AM

My friend has an 06 and he rides more in one month than most people do in a year (retired and lives near one million miles of dirt roads leading to two million square miles of trails and track it seems) and his is spot on. Changes oil every 300 miles, filter every other, air filter clean, no riding on rev limiter, no lugging/boiling over.

If you are looking for an excuse to get a new bike just get a new bike. Life is short. Enjoy it if you can afford it.

• cowboyona426

Posted March 09, 2011 - 07:17 AM

Well my 06 has 48.9 hours and running perfect haha.

I think I'm ahead of you by an hour or two :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Troutman

Posted March 09, 2011 - 07:28 PM

Troutman are you MX or a trail rider?

All MX

• Warrior1053

Posted March 09, 2011 - 09:54 PM

Thanks guys, the consenses always points to the same answer with Yami owners. Most new bike buying is for the freshness, which is admittedly nice, but after ~15 bikes now, I'm getting sick of throwing money to the dealer. It used to be worth it since resale was decent, but nowadays, you don't really get anything back, so it seems another 50 hours doesn't cost that much....might just keep it for a trail bike even.

• Warrior1053

Posted March 10, 2011 - 08:41 PM

grayracer is pretty vocal on various issues on this forum, i guess he passed on this one even though political correctness is usually reserved for the "uppers" at yamaha--gotta stay away from the durability issues i guess and just sell those new bikes!!!! no money to be made by common folk keeping older bikes.....

• Gunner354

Posted March 11, 2011 - 05:42 AM

Just under 400 hrs on an 09 and still running strong

• grayracer513

Posted March 11, 2011 - 10:02 AM

grayracer is pretty vocal on various issues on this forum, i guess he passed on this one even though political correctness is usually reserved for the "uppers" at yamaha--gotta stay away from the durability issues i guess and just sell those new bikes!!!! no money to be made by common folk keeping older bikes.....

What exactly is your problem? The reliability of the YZ450 is both well known and well addressed by everyone else who has so far spoken to it. What do you think I can add here? Or is it that my post count is too low?

• Warrior1053

Posted March 11, 2011 - 11:08 PM

I knew you were lurking out there somewhere. my "exact problem" is the fly in the ointment cam chain/tensioner. it has been posted that it may be the weak link in the marvelous and well documented durability. everyone agrees (thanks guys) everything else is bullet-proof, but when that weak link goes on the face of a jump, one has a grenaded motor to rebuild after the carpenters fix the femur. know what i mean? care to speculate on the replacement interval on this part(s) good sir?. i failed to spend the xtra cash when i had the top end replaced...even though it was not recommened...my mistake of course...

• KJK_JR

Posted March 12, 2011 - 07:03 AM

I knew you were lurking out there somewhere. my "exact problem" is the fly in the ointment cam chain/tensioner. it has been posted that it may be the weak link in the marvelous and well documented durability. everyone agrees (thanks guys) everything else is bullet-proof, but when that weak link goes on the face of a jump, one has a grenaded motor to rebuild after the carpenters fix the femur. know what i mean? care to speculate on the replacement interval on this part(s) good sir?. i failed to spend the xtra cash when i had the top end replaced...even though it was not recommened...my mistake of course...

The cam chain isn't a weak link. Its a chain and chains wear out. I replace mine once a season of mx riding about every 30hrs. The chain costs under $20 so why not replace it frequently? As far as camchain tensioners a manual camchain tensioner will fix your problems if your concerned with the reliability of the automatic one.

• grayracer513

Posted March 12, 2011 - 03:23 PM

It is a matter of record that a larger number of '06 and later YZ450's have had trouble with cam chains that the earlier Gen1 ('03-'05) engines ('08's in particular), and it's true that the Gen2 engine uses a different tensioner, but IMO, the tensioner is not the root of the problem. In every case that I have seen first hand in which a Gen2 YZF jumped time, the chain has had "kinked", or tightened links that bind up and fail to straighten out as they pass over the crank sprocket. That causes the chain to "lie to the tensioner" about how tight it is, holding the adjuster shoe back and preventing the tensioner from advancing. Then the bound link rolls off the intake and snaps straight, eventually causing the exhaust or crank to skip a tooth. They are especially prone to skip with a kinking chain if they kick back.

I have written about this specific problem before. Read:

http://www.thumperta....php?p=10100119
#post10100119

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.