06 450 and 2010 450 fork tube circumference?

6 replies to this topic
  • CaptainKnobby

Posted March 06, 2011 - 08:37 PM

When I had my 06 450 I had a upper clamp by TAG Metals (Revolution clamp)

Posted Image

Now I just have the upper clamp and I took it off of my 06 and stored it away.

I was wondering if it would fit on my 2010 450? Is the Diameter of the outside of the fork tubes on the 2010 the same size as the 06?

I have been getting my 2010 ready for the first race next weekend and will be putting on front brakes tomorrow and a new front tire.

While I have the front tire off I thought I would try and see if the upper clamp would work. Just by looking at the clamp I dont see any reason why it shouldnt but thought I would ask before I removed the stock clamp thats on it now.

I would rather have the Bridge style handlebar mounts thats on the TAG clamps than the singal individual type thats on the stock clamps.

The TAG clamps also have the rubber cushions on the top and bottom of the bar risers.

• grayracer513

Posted March 06, 2011 - 08:47 PM

When I had my 06 450 I had a upper clamp by TAG Metals (Revolution clamp)

I was wondering if it would fit on my 2010 450?

Doubt it. The '06 clamps don't fit '07-'09 either.

• Warrior1053

Posted March 06, 2011 - 08:56 PM

Won't work. The head tube was longer on the '06. They made subsequent head tubes shorter, by I think by about 4-8 millimeters. It was a Yami's effort to start getting the '06's handling problems under control.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • CaptainKnobby

Posted March 06, 2011 - 09:35 PM

Doubt it. The '06 clamps don't fit '07-'09 either.

according to the site where i got the pic of the clamp from states that it will fit a 06 to 08 model:excuseme:

• CaptainKnobby

Posted March 06, 2011 - 09:41 PM

Won't work. The head tube was longer on the '06. They made subsequent head tubes shorter, by I think by about 4-8 millimeters. It was a Yami's effort to start getting the '06's handling problems under control.

So I guess since the head tube on the 06 was longer, then the steering stem on the 2010 will be to short to make it up through the hole on the TAG clamp. "Right"?

If nothing else I will see if it will fit tomorrow and if it doesnt I will see if the rubber cones and Bridge style bar mounts will fit on the stck clamp.

Edited by CaptainKnobby, March 06, 2011 - 10:22 PM.

• Warrior1053

Posted March 10, 2011 - 09:08 PM

let us know what you find out...the frame handled like crap. i went to a different offset, albeit with "06 model aftermarkets. it helped, and they fit, since it was for the '06 model specifically.

• CaptainKnobby

Posted March 11, 2011 - 11:20 PM

let us know what you find out...the frame handled like crap. i went to a different offset, albeit with "06 model aftermarkets. it helped, and they fit, since it was for the '06 model specifically.

The TAG revolution upper clamp that I had for my 06 didnt fit on my 2010. The clamp swallowed my fork tubes when I set it on. The fork tubes were about a half inch smaller when inside the clamp. I never thought the fork tubes would have been that much smaller but they were.

Also the the steering stem head was to big to go up through the hole on the TAG clamp so there was no way this clamp was going to work.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.