Does anyone know how to pull the impeller & shaft on a '98 yz400f???

4 replies to this topic
  • 2can

Posted March 06, 2011 - 03:21 PM

I'm stuck and need guidance on how to properly remove the water pump impeller and shaft on my 1998 yz400f. I have all new seals and will check the shaft once removed but I'm not familiar with the impeller removal. When trying to remove the impeller the motor turns over so that tells me I'm missing a step. If anyone is familiar with the '98 yz400f I could really use the help.

• brentn

Posted March 06, 2011 - 03:36 PM

Doing that will damage the shaft, STOP!!
You need to remove the entire right hand side cover which houses the water pump impeller, shaft and gear. If it's like the two strokes, there should be a groove to use a 12mm wrench or what have you to hold the shaft in place. This is on the other side of the right hand case in which you can thread the impeller off of the shaft from the other side.

You really should invest in a service manual, it will save you tons of time and lots of money when you follow the procedures.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 2can

Posted March 06, 2011 - 03:43 PM

I agree with the manual part. I was just trying to knock this out over the weekend and it takes a couple of days to order and receive the manual. I used better judgement for a change and stopped. I'll swing by the shop tomorrow order a manual and purchase the additional gasket for the other cover and pick up a few tips. I appreciate the feedback.

• spdnjoe

Posted March 06, 2011 - 05:48 PM

Here's a manual.
http://www.yamahaown...ook.com.au/?r=0

• 2can

Posted March 06, 2011 - 07:19 PM

Man, I sure appreciate it! Nice to have a local rider supporting you. It looks like I have some studying to do.

Thanks,
Larry RSM

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.