wr450 coolant

12 replies to this topic
  • md69holla

Posted March 06, 2011 - 02:23 PM

I just flushed my coolant. I was wondering what you guys recommended to put in for hot weather? Is engine ice any good?

• RM125rc

Posted March 06, 2011 - 02:26 PM

i have used engine ice in all my bikes (2 stroke 125/250's) with no problems and my buddy runs it in his yz450f with no problems even on those 95 degree days. id say go for it its supposed to be better than regular coolant from napa or walmart

• md69holla

Posted March 06, 2011 - 02:28 PM

it doesnt need to be mixed right? will one jug thing be enough?

• Yzfracer

Posted March 06, 2011 - 03:38 PM

Why not try the waterless coolant they sell @ Zipty Racing?

• DEMI

Posted March 06, 2011 - 03:41 PM

1 jug is plenty... it works fine. No mixing...

• md69holla

Posted March 06, 2011 - 04:20 PM

does it have any long term effects on your bike? i dont know anyone that uses it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Just_a_trail_rider

Posted March 06, 2011 - 11:12 PM

For 6 years now, I've been using the same stuff I have in my car. It works just fine. You've got bigger radiators and a cool overflow system. You won't loose very much coolant unless you ride that clutch excessively.

• GCannon

Posted March 07, 2011 - 10:34 AM

For 6 years now, I've been using the same stuff I have in my car. It works just fine. You've got bigger radiators and a cool overflow system. You won't loose very much coolant unless you ride that clutch excessively.

Exactly!
Take the money you save and buy a new radiator cap at the auto parts store for a: (2000 ford Ranger 3.0 V6) and you will not have any trouble.

• jrutkows

Posted March 07, 2011 - 02:18 PM

I just flushed my coolant. I was wondering what you guys recommended to put in for hot weather? Is engine ice any good?

If you look at all the specs for "engine ice": (boil point, heat capacity, thermal conductivity), it is no better than ordinary ethylene-glycol. If you want to be eco-friendly, they sell a propylene-glycol based coolant and nearly any autoparts store. Engine ice is propylene-glycol based, do not mix the two types.

• rpyfz450

Posted June 29, 2011 - 05:58 PM

I just looked at the Ford Ranger cap. It's also a 1.1 just like the stock Yamaha cap.

• Col Psoas

Posted June 30, 2011 - 07:58 AM

you can or should be able to use most any auto antifreeze as long as its safe for aluminum (they all should be), Prestone comes to mind, make sure it can mix with any color if you don't plan on doing a good flush

Nothing cools better than distilled water + water wetter... the downside is freeze protection and boil over protection

Engine ice is a great compromise between freezing protection, boil over protection and lubrication of the bits. Plus its propylene glycol... good stuff

Evans has the highest boiling point of anything I know, the short answer is that it will never boil, but it shouldn't take much thinking that 400 degree coolant in your motor is a BAD thing... assuming it gets that hot but never should of course

I guess one of the the biggest considerations is would you prefer to run your engine cooler or not boil as much, my wr's puke tank does its job so its an easy choice for me. I need freeze protection though and I simply don't buy the advice to change your coolant all that often (cars go 150,000 miles before a change)...
I used to work an a radiator shop and I've seen it all, its not motor oil people!
Best luck in your choice

• chadmuco

Posted July 08, 2012 - 11:49 AM

After reading countless posts on how to solve my engine boiling on my 09 WR450, I thought I'd post my results for others. I started noticing the boiling after I installed my unibiker radiator guards. Since I had to remove the rads to get the guards on, I had to swap out the coolant. I just tried the 50/50 stuff at the auto parts store and it would boil over really quicly and it would not stop for a long time even after letting the bike sit in shade or turned off and rolling down hill.

I decided to give the engine ice a try. I rode yesterday in 90+ heat in the mtns in Idaho. I had about a 15 minute, tight, twisty, 1st gear chug of a climb. The bike still boiled over, but much to my surprise it stopped in about 5 min of sitting. I was on a ridge with no shade. I am guessing that the bike behaved as designed and the engine ice seemed to cool it off much faster.

I am really considering a fan. I just swapped my DRZ400 for the WR450 and the DRZ never boiled over on that same trail. The fan ran most of the time, but it never boiled over.

Anyone have a sugestion of a good fan for a WR?

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted July 08, 2012 - 08:10 PM

After reading countless posts on how to solve my engine boiling on my 09 WR450, I thought I'd post my results for others. I started noticing the boiling after I installed my unibiker radiator guards. Since I had to remove the rads to get the guards on, I had to swap out the coolant. I just tried the 50/50 stuff at the auto parts store and it would boil over really quicly and it would not stop for a long time even after letting the bike sit in shade or turned off and rolling down hill.

I decided to give the engine ice a try. I rode yesterday in 90+ heat in the mtns in Idaho. I had about a 15 minute, tight, twisty, 1st gear chug of a climb. The bike still boiled over, but much to my surprise it stopped in about 5 min of sitting. I was on a ridge with no shade. I am guessing that the bike behaved as designed and the engine ice seemed to cool it off much faster.

I am really considering a fan. I just swapped my DRZ400 for the WR450 and the DRZ never boiled over on that same trail. The fan ran most of the time, but it never boiled over.

Anyone have a sugestion of a good fan for a WR?

The WR's should not boil over like that. Please check your jetting. Something isn't right? Are you abusing the clutch? Is your gearing too high? Again, something is really wrong and its not the coolant.

No need for a fan on the wr. It has the coolant overflow. However, the best thing to do is to put the larger ebay radiators on that hold more coolant. You will notice the increased cooling and they are only $100. I have a trailtech vapor and I can see my engine temps. I ride technical 1st and 2nd gear stuff all the time and I use my clutch a lot. My bike gets hot and will boil just a little, but moving about 5mph will cool it off. This is how your bike should behave.

I use the 50/50 stuff. I also change it out whenever I change my oil filter (every 3rd oil change). Its cheap and easy.

Edited by mauricedorris, July 08, 2012 - 08:11 PM.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.