New to me 08 WR450F!!

9 replies to this topic
  • barbwire44

Posted March 06, 2011 - 10:38 AM

So on with the questions before I search for the answers..LOL!! ok needs an oil change..how much does she hold? any certain rituals or just drain & fill?, next question is fires right up with the kicker, will not fire up with the E-start, seems to crank over fine but wont start with the button?? last but not least, has a leaky fork seal, is this a twin chamber or an open chamber fork, I am totally comfy with OC style, and if it is OC whats the oil level...thanks and here is a picture of my new steed!
thanksPosted Image

• the_smoo

Posted March 06, 2011 - 02:47 PM

hey dude... congratulations... the answers to your questions can be found using the search button!

it takes around a litre (note not liter.. Im an aussie!) for an oil change... as for starting.. mine hates being started when cold with the button.. I always kick it to start when cold.. then once warmed up, the button works way better..

cant help you with the fork issue.. I am too old and too slow to notice or care about how my forks are designed....

• mach1jonny

Posted March 06, 2011 - 10:22 PM

As for the leaking seal, pull the fork wiper down, use either a seal mate or a tear off. I use WD 40 while inserting the seal mate and just work it all the way around the fork. This should work. Another aid to prevent this will be cleaning after riding. My son-in-law does not like to clean his bike after riding and will only do the minimum cleaning and maintenance work. As a result his bike is constantly at my house getting repaired.

By the way Nice Bike

Edited by mach1jonny, March 06, 2011 - 10:24 PM.
addition

• barbwire44

Posted March 07, 2011 - 05:58 AM

Thanks I will try that seal trick.

• YamaLink

Posted March 07, 2011 - 06:07 AM

Is the battery in good condition? And is the pilot too lean or fuelscrew need opened up? Sometimes this makes a bike difficult to start cold with the e-start, and after kickstarting and riding for a bit the e-start can be utilized.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • barbwire44

Posted March 07, 2011 - 12:55 PM

I trinkled the battery last night and it did fire up with the e-start.....now I was told this electric start is supposed to turn the engine over 3 times before it will fire,.,,,, something programmed into the CDI???? just curious

• the_smoo

Posted March 07, 2011 - 02:27 PM

here ya go... was the topic of conversation some weeks ago.. I did the mod and it definitely worked..

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=931264

• davidl9999

Posted March 07, 2011 - 02:33 PM

Pick up a manual. They're free in the WR/YZ250F forum. check the sticky there.
They're OC forks.

• mach1jonny

Posted March 07, 2011 - 03:32 PM

Hey Davidl9999 - I forgot to tell you the forks are open chamber. If you need any suspension help, I would contact Dave from Smart Performance.

• davidl9999

Posted March 07, 2011 - 03:35 PM

Hey Davidl9999 - I forgot to tell you the forks are open chamber. If you need any suspension help, I would contact Dave from Smart Performance.

Thanks Jonny, but I think this is meant for barbwire44... :thumbsup:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.