Just bought 2005 WR450. I need oil change instructions

3 replies to this topic
  • clamp007

Posted March 06, 2011 - 07:55 AM

Hi all. Just purchased her yesterday & would like to find a downloadable manual that shows me how to do the oil change etc. Perhaps the owners handbook!
I downloaded one years ago for my 426, but don't know where from.
Does anybody here have the correct link?
Thanks

• danfromnb

Posted March 06, 2011 - 09:26 AM

From the stickies: http://www.yamahaown...ook.com.au/?r=0

Congrats on the new ride.

There are two drain plugs, one on the bottom of the engine and another on the front of the front frame tube. The oil filter cover is on the side of the engine, just below the exhaust header pipe. :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Just_a_trail_rider

Posted March 06, 2011 - 11:17 PM

From the stickies: http://www.yamahaown...ook.com.au/?r=0

Congrats on the new ride.

There are two drain plugs, one on the bottom of the engine and another on the front of the front frame tube. The oil filter cover is on the side of the engine, just below the exhaust header pipe. :thumbsup:

Its real simple just like danfromnb says.

But... loosen the oil filler cap and the dipstick .

Then drain the oil out of the frame. You'll have to hold the oil pan up there at first. Then drain out of the bottom. You'll need a 12mm and an extension.

DO NOT mess with that oil screen in the front of the engine. Just don't touch it.

DO NOT over-torque your drain bolt when you put them back in. If you do, you are screwed.... big time!

Change your oil every other ride. Get some good oil, but don't spend a fortune cause you are going to change it often.

Change the filter every 4 or 5 rides.

• Hmcohen2632

Posted March 14, 2011 - 02:35 PM

Use a cardboard box to drain the oil from the top of the frame. Place your oil pan behind front tire bend the cardboard and lean it against the front tire and into the oil pan then remove the screw. The oil will hit cardboard and drain into pan without a mess.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.