2011 YZ450 cuts off when giving a little gas at idle

9 replies to this topic
  • Pmason718

Posted March 05, 2011 - 05:39 PM

Is anyone else experiencing this? a buddy of mine is having this issue. Do you guys think this will have something to do with the bike not given enough time to warm up. His bike is brand new no miles or hours yet.

• brentn

Posted March 05, 2011 - 05:58 PM

Idle has to be set at 2000rpm or a little higher to get good throttle response. Bike has to be warmed up and the cold start knob IN

• Pmason718

Posted March 06, 2011 - 02:10 AM

Idle has to be set at 2000rpm or a little higher to get good throttle response. Bike has to be warmed up and the cold start knob IN

What tool can I use to figure out what RPMS the bike is running. The knob was in but while it was idling he twist the throttle a little and it cut off.

• brentn

Posted March 06, 2011 - 11:14 AM

Turn the knob to adjust idle. If you have the tuner, plug it in and start the bike and you can see idle on the status screen.
An hour meter will also sometimes give you RPM.
2000rpm sounds fast, so if you play it by ear adjust the idle higher and work the throttle again, see if that helps.

• Pmason718

Posted March 06, 2011 - 12:07 PM

ok I will have him try this sometime this week, thank you. He doesn't have the tuner but is looking at getting an hour meter. Where can I find the tuner for a better price than what is offer

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • brentn

Posted March 06, 2011 - 03:39 PM

The TT store I believe sells them now at a price that is lower than the yamaha dealer price.

• rickallen124

Posted March 06, 2011 - 09:28 PM

It's really easy to accidently change the idle adjustment when using the cold start knob.

• Pmason718

Posted March 07, 2011 - 08:08 AM

The TT store I believe sells them now at a price that is lower than the yamaha dealer price.

Thank you

It's really easy to accidently change the idle adjustment when using the cold start knob.

This is probably what happen. I just realize that the screw can not only be pulled out but can be turned as well

• APlusAutoParts

Posted March 07, 2011 - 10:26 AM

when i first got my 2010 (same bike) if it wasnt warm and i cracked the throttle it stalled, now that i have a lot of time on it that does not happen, i have and hour mete i forget what brand when the bike is running it displays rpm's and when off it shows hours it was $40, a lot less than a tuner

• Pmason718

Posted March 07, 2011 - 11:10 AM

when i first got my 2010 (same bike) if it wasnt warm and i cracked the throttle it stalled, now that i have a lot of time on it that does not happen, i have and hour mete i forget what brand when the bike is running it displays rpm's and when off it shows hours it was $40, a lot less than a tuner

ok sounds good, will have to wait and see

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.