Newly designed front caliper guard

8 replies to this topic
  • MANIAC998

Posted March 05, 2011 - 04:06 PM

A few weeks back, I destroyed my front caliper when I accidently hit the perfect height rock at Pipestone, MT. It broke the mounting plate that the caliper attaches too. Since then, I've been trying to design a guard of some sort to prevent this from ever happening again. I finally took it over to the local welder in town, and got it back a few days later. It is a stainless steel "glideplate" that is welded to my "Rooster" front disc guard. This way, any energy absorbed by an impact is transfered to the front axle, instead of potentially breaking another mounting plate. Here are some pictures of the broken plate, and the finished product.:thumbsup: Maniac

Attached Thumbnails

• Feb 5th,2011 005.jpg
  • WR450 001.jpg

• the_smoo

Posted March 05, 2011 - 04:36 PM

A few weeks back, I destroyed my front caliper when I accidently hit the perfect height rock at Pipestone, MT. It broke the mounting plate that the caliper attaches too. Since then, I've been trying to design a guard of some sort to prevent this from ever happening again. I finally took it over to the local welder in town, and got it back a few days later. It is a stainless steel "glideplate" that is welded to my "Rooster" front disc guard. This way, any energy absorbed by an impact is transfered to the front axle, instead of potentially breaking another mounting plate. Here are some pictures of the broken plate, and the finished product.:thumbsup: Maniac

Nice work! I want one!

• 02WR426Cali

Posted March 05, 2011 - 06:35 PM

That is bad ass! Great idea and nice work I would buy one.

• MANIAC998

Posted March 05, 2011 - 08:48 PM

I'm actually thinking about trying to produce something like this for consumers. I think it'd be pretty darn important, at least for people that race 24 hour events, Baja, etc.. When mine broke, I could barely limp back to the truck, what with no front brake! And it was flopping into the wheel constantly! I had to hold it with one hand, and drive one handed back to the truck. It sucked!!! If you look at the stock Yamaha design, you'll notice that the brake pad holding bolt sticks down lower than anything else on the forks, and this is what nailed that rock, snapping the mounting plate. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!!! Maniac

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • WR450FGreg

Posted March 05, 2011 - 09:11 PM

Now that is a great idea!

I've "invented" a few different guards and stuff for my own WR450F over the past couple of years myself.
I love making stuff! Its an addiction!

It never occurred to me to protect the front caliper!
Well done!

Greg

Rear caliper guard:

Posted Image

Rear master cylinder guard:

Posted Image

Exhaust insert (No kinks in this one! Nice, smooth arc.)

Posted Image

Chain block:

Posted Image

Gauge for measuring chain tension:

Posted Image

Home-made bash-plate (Cost me nothing.)
I've since drilled a bunch of strategically placed holes all over it to make it lighter without compromising strength.

Posted Image

Rear links mud-guard:

Posted Image

• schattat

Posted March 06, 2011 - 01:48 AM

You're quite the craftsman! Well done :thumbsup:

• MANIAC998

Posted March 06, 2011 - 06:58 AM

Greg, Those are all incredibly well made! Excellent job!!! Maniac

• climaxx dirtbikes

Posted March 06, 2011 - 10:21 AM

TT is apparently full of talent!! Great job Greg!

• WR450FGreg

Posted March 06, 2011 - 10:49 PM

Thanks guys!

I'm really just (originally) a dumb carpenter who likes to make stuff out of metal!

Cheers,
Greg

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.