Cam timing with pics

3 replies to this topic
  • 02WR426Cali

Posted March 04, 2011 - 06:12 PM

Bike: 02 wr426 as my name would suggest haha

Well I was pretty sure I had my cam timing right, but after looking at it again for the upteenth time lately it got me thinking. The intake seems it may be a tooth off. I did move it one tooth before and then the right mark is higher than the left mark, opposite of now but not as much of a difference in height as now. I did not run the bike the other way, only as pictured and have been having issues. 13 pins between top marks right now, how many should there be?

Should it be rotated one tooth you think? Intake is stock, Exhaust is Hotcam, timing chain is new and nice and tight, tensioner tests good.

Posted Image

Posted Image

• shelbyguy

Posted March 05, 2011 - 10:43 AM

i was under the impression wr timing was 13 pins and yz timing was 12

i could be WAY WAY WAY mislead.

this

or?

maybe try rolling the ex cam back a tooth so the lobe points to 1 o'clock

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • sacfelix

Posted March 05, 2011 - 11:43 AM

It looks correct as long as the flywheel timing marks are correct.

• 02WR426Cali

Posted March 05, 2011 - 02:19 PM

@Shelbyguy - yes you are correct for stock cams. My exhaust cam is a Hotcam so it has to be set with the punch marks which ends up being 13 pins or the auto decomp. will not work properly.

@Sacfelix - yep the I timing mark is lined up in the pic. Thank you I think it is ok afterall.

Probably better to have the 3 oclock mark line up than the 9 oclock mark on the intake. If I move it a tooth the 9 oclock will be lined up with the head surface. So I will leave it as is.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.