Desert worthy Pirellis?????

6 replies to this topic
  • wags450

Posted March 04, 2011 - 03:44 PM

I have an 08 YZ450F mainly stock. I am looking for a desert friendly Pirelli. My dad can get them through work at dealer cost so Id like to find a Pirelli that can hold up in the desert. lots of riding in Barstow/Stoddard area as well as Parker, Az.

Ive heard the MX Extra is good just wondering if anyone has any experience.

• primerib108

Posted March 04, 2011 - 05:19 PM

The scorpion Extra MX tire is very good. After a few rides in the bush, a hare scramble, and some trips to the local gravel pit this tire has shown to be incredibly durable. I've messed around with Bridgestone and Michelins and I perfer this tire over them.

• locomike

Posted March 05, 2011 - 07:09 AM

I used the Scorpion MX Mid Hard 454 for almost a whole season on my YZ 250 and it held up very well in the desert. Great tire.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • floatingk

Posted March 05, 2011 - 05:13 PM

whatever you do dont get the scorpion mx mid soft.....all my knobs ripped off in 2 rides. It was a deal "free" but Id never ride it again out there, scary as hell....

• nathanpa01

Posted March 06, 2011 - 12:28 PM

Bought my bike with Pirelli Scorpion MX eXTra's on it, F and R. I am still running them both. I only get to ride 6 or 8 times a year. but they seem tough. Rocks, mud, sand. Mostly Rocks. It's almost time to reverse the rear tire. (mid-hard)

• wags450

Posted March 07, 2011 - 07:56 AM

Thanks guys I Ordered up a front and rear MX eXTra today. Well see how it goes.

• wags450

Posted March 22, 2011 - 02:17 PM

I got my Pirelli MX eXTra's on and took them out last week. Put 60 hard miles on them and didnt even seem to phase it. looks like its going to wear really well. It had great grip in hard pack, mud, sand and gravel didnt really feel like i was going to wash out with them. Did a big loop in barstow area with them saturday.

I would suggest them to anyone riding desert. I also hit the track last week and left them on to see what happens. Did well but had to air down a little more than usual with how wet the track was. all in all great tire highly comparable to an MX51 which is what I had on before. I think this tire has a little more grip imo

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.