Need Wiring diagrams

17 replies to this topic
  • sledtrash

Posted March 04, 2011 - 01:13 PM

So I'm trying to hook up the wiring for my 06 YZ 450 lighting system I was wondering where I could find a wiring diagram for it and for a 07 WR 450?

• grayracer513

Posted March 04, 2011 - 02:34 PM

Download manuals here:

http://www.yamaha-mo...uals/index.aspx

You will not be able, however, to wire the YZ450 for lights using the WR diagrams, other than academically, or use the YZ450 electrical system to run any lights. The two bikes have fundamentally different electrical systems, and the two CDI units are each incompatible with the other system. The YZ450 stator has no lighting coil and no provision for adding one. All of the available aftermarket stators with lighting coils added are both weak (55w AC, 35w DC), and unreliable.

• sledtrash

Posted March 06, 2011 - 01:35 AM

That I know. I have a baja designs dual sport kit on the bike and I changed out the crank for a WR so I could put a high output stator on it. I bought a WR wiring harness and CDI and what not but everything I've heard tells me I should keep my 06 YZ ignition box so I'm going to see what I'm going to do about integrating something or the other...

I bought the dual sport kit before I realized that their wasn't a reliable stator out there for the bike. or I would have bought one that worked with a WR... so we'll see what I have to change. to hook it up.

thank you

• niles

Posted March 06, 2011 - 03:26 AM

This just dawned on me that the 450f quads have pretty decent lights compared to the bikes considering they're the same motors ,I wonder if maybe they're using different lighting coils or voltage regulators??? (just a guess)

• sledtrash

Posted March 06, 2011 - 09:23 AM

They are using a lot of stuff different.... the side covers are way different with different stators, not interchangable that I know of the only parts that are are 07+ wr

• sledtrash

Posted March 06, 2011 - 09:37 AM

Hey gray,

I went to the link and it doesn't allow me to get to the manuals....

Not sure if I'm doing something wrong or what :thumbsup:

Thanks

• Mr. Neutron

Posted March 06, 2011 - 03:20 PM

I've noticed the same thing when I go to that sight also.... :thumbsup:

I do have a manual for my bike, but I leave it at home. Sometimes when I'm at work, I'd like to refer to one. So I tried the link Grayracer513 gave, a couple of times, and have struck out on it everytime. What am I doing wrong???? :smirk:

Jimmie

• grayracer513

Posted March 06, 2011 - 08:23 PM

Hey gray,

I went to the link and it doesn't allow me to get to the manuals....

Use this one until I get to the bottom of the Euro thing.

...everything I've heard tells me I should keep my 06 YZ ignition box so I'm going to see what I'm going to do about integrating something or the other...

You cannot use any YZ CDI with the WR electricals.

• sledtrash

Posted March 09, 2011 - 06:35 PM

Download manuals here:

http://www.yamaha-mo...uals/index.aspx

You will not be able, however, to wire the YZ450 for lights using the WR diagrams, other than academically, or use the YZ450 electrical system to run any lights. The two bikes have fundamentally different electrical systems, and the two CDI units are each incompatible with the other system. The YZ450 stator has no lighting coil and no provision for adding one. All of the available aftermarket stators with lighting coils added are both weak (55w AC, 35w DC), and unreliable.

What I currently have is the 06 stock YZ harness with the Baja Designs kit. I just did the WR crank mod, and so I have a Stator from a WR sitting in my side cover. So since I already have a wiring system for the lights can I integrate my stator in? The WR stator only has 4 wires coming out of it. while my YZ stator had 6 wires coming out of it. I couldn't find out from my diagram which wire does what and what they belong with to know if I could wire in and make it work.

So when startedI bought a 07 WR wiring harness and and CDI. Would I be best to just use this as gary did with his project? Then sell my current baja wiring harness and buy the conversions kits for the WR specifically?

I'm not sure what route I should take. Everyone I hear from says the 06 YZ ignition is the way to go. So if possible I'd like to hook my stator up somehow with that.

Thanks

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted March 10, 2011 - 08:11 AM

Let me repeat this: The YZ and WR electrical systems are fundamentally different, and the YZ CDI from any year or model cannot be used with the WR stator unless that stator is custom rewound for the purpose. The simplest way is to just use the WR harness and CDI.

The difference is this: Both bikes use a trigger coil to control spark timing, and two wires in either system are for that purpose. The YZ stator has two separate AC circuits which account for the other 4 wires. One powers the CDI and the other provides energy that ends up in the spark coil.

The WR stator is just one big AC circuit. Except for the headlight, everything in the system runs off of regulated DC current from the rectifier, including the CDI.

If you use the WR system with an HID headlamp, or a custom rewind, for that matter, you will need either a battery, a big capacitor to take the battery's place, or a headlight switch so you can turn the headlight off while you start the engine. A big HID will only draw 35-40 watts while burning, but they can require up to 10 amps (120w) while they start up, and that can interfere with the ignition at cranking speeds.

Check with Ricky Stator regarding retooling the WR stator if you like. Gary reported noticing no real performance difference in his '06 when he switched over to the WR CDI (with the gray wire disconnected), so it's probably not worth pursuing that.

I assume you are using the WR side cover for the flywheel?

• sledtrash

Posted March 10, 2011 - 11:30 AM

Let me repeat this: The YZ and WR electrical systems are fundamentally different, and the YZ CDI from any year or model cannot be used with the WR stator unless that stator is custom rewound for the purpose. The simplest way is to just use the WR harness and CDI.

The difference is this: Both bikes use a trigger coil to control spark timing, and two wires in either system are for that purpose. The YZ stator has two separate AC circuits which account for the other 4 wires. One powers the CDI and the other provides energy that ends up in the spark coil.

The WR stator is just one big AC circuit. Except for the headlight, everything in the system runs off of regulated DC current from the rectifier, including the CDI.

If you use the WR system with an HID headlamp, or a custom rewind, for that matter, you will need either a battery, a big capacitor to take the battery's place, or a headlight switch so you can turn the headlight off while you start the engine. A big HID will only draw 35-40 watts while burning, but they can require up to 10 amps (120w) while they start up, and that can interfere with the ignition at cranking speeds.

Check with Ricky Stator regarding retooling the WR stator if you like. Gary reported noticing no real performance difference in his '06 when he switched over to the WR CDI (with the gray wire disconnected), so it's probably not worth pursuing that.

I assume you are using the WR side cover for the flywheel?

Yes you are correct I'm using a full cover that I bought from gary for my flywheel. So you think that I should just go with all of the WR stuff and ditch my Yz stuff?

• grayracer513

Posted March 10, 2011 - 12:00 PM

Seems easiest. Note that if you really want serious power, you can buy a stator for a WR that will produce over 110w at idle.

• sledtrash

Posted March 11, 2011 - 10:17 AM

:thumbsup:

Ok so I'm a bit stubborn, but I've been looking at things... and well I'm just wondering. So my YZ stator has 6 wires 2 are for the trigger coil. I believe that they are wire W and wire R. The other four, wire P wire B wire G wire BR are for the two AC systems.

The Wr has four, wire W wire R which I believe to be the Pickup coil again.
The other two wire W and wire Y are for the AC system.

So since my thinker is going overtime could I hypothetically take and hook my W R wires on my new Wr stator to the W R wires on my wiring harness for the YZ system? Then I would take the W Y wires and run them through a rectifier and to my Baja designs battery. I'm wondering if I could pull the power needed to run the other two AC systems on my YZ CDI from the battery or would I need to hook them up via a relay before the rectifier?

My baja designs kit has a voltage reg, Rect (i believe), fuse, and a battery. so I have my components to run the lighting system. But that leaves me with my stock system on the YZ. Could the powers for those stated AC systems on the YZ be run through the battery or hooked up with relay and fuse before the battery to give me what I need?

I'm trying to understand. and I really don't want to have to buy a new dual sport kit....

• grayracer513

Posted March 11, 2011 - 10:36 AM

So since my thinker is going overtime could I hypothetically take and hook my W R wires on my new Wr stator to the W R wires on my wiring harness for the YZ system? Then I would take the W Y wires and run them through a rectifier and to my Baja designs battery. I'm wondering if I could pull the power needed to run the other two AC systems on my YZ CDI from the battery or would I need to hook them up via a relay before the rectifier?

Sorry, the YZ CDI needs two separate AC voltage supplies providing differing voltages to work. Just use the WR ignition. You can customize the harness you have, customize the WR harness, or build one from scratch to suit, but you can't use the YZ CDI unless you have the stator redone to accommodate it. The CDI unfortunately has no appreciation for your tenacity.

• Baja Designs

Posted March 11, 2011 - 01:53 PM

:thumbsup:

Ok so I'm a bit stubborn, but I've been looking at things... and well I'm just wondering. So my YZ stator has 6 wires 2 are for the trigger coil. I believe that they are wire W and wire R. The other four, wire P wire B wire G wire BR are for the two AC systems.

The Wr has four, wire W wire R which I believe to be the Pickup coil again.
The other two wire W and wire Y are for the AC system.

My baja designs kit has a voltage reg, Rect (i believe), fuse, and a battery. so I have my components to run the lighting system. But that leaves me with my stock system on the YZ. Could the powers for those stated AC systems on the YZ be run through the battery or hooked up with relay and fuse before the battery to give me what I need?

I'm trying to understand. and I really don't want to have to buy a new dual sport kit....

Sledtrash give me a call at the shop my number is 760-560-2252 Ext 122. I can help you out here to were you can use existing Dual Sport kit and not have to purchase a new one :smirk::banana:

• sledtrash

Posted March 16, 2011 - 01:15 PM

So he wanted to tell me how to hook the stator up to the kit not to the gin system. I asked him about continuing to us my baja kit with the wr harness and he tried to tell me how to hook it up to his kit again... So I'm still at a loss. I just wish there was a way that I could hook up a junction block and send the AC wire into it, then have three output's one for the lighting kit. Then one for AC #1 put a regulator or fuse or whatever is needed to make the output match what the YZ requires... Then the same with AC #2.

• grayracer513

Posted March 16, 2011 - 01:50 PM

If you have the WR stator and are determined to use the YZ system, contact Ricky Stator to see if they can rewind the stator for you.

What is your objection to using the WR system?

• sledtrash

Posted March 16, 2011 - 03:53 PM

Well I'd just like to keep my current system. From people I've talked to it seems that the YZ system just runs cleaner. I'll talk to Rickystator and see what they say. Thank you for the patience you have had with me. I appreciate all the comments and advice.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.