TIMING CHAIN PROBLEM

5 replies to this topic
  • Aussie_Rider

Posted August 01, 2003 - 08:23 PM

I WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE EXPERIENCED PROBLEMS WITH TIMING CHAIN LINKS BREAKING. TOOK MY ROCKER COVER OFF, TO CHECK VALVE CLEARANCES, AND NOTICED 2 CENTER LINKS HAD BROKEN ON THE CHAIN.THIS HAD CAUSED A GOUGE IN THE ROCKER COVER AND THE TIMING CHAIN TENSIONERS, WHICH EXPLAINED ALL THE RUBBER AND ALUMINUM IN MY OIL FILTER. I WANTED TO KNOW IF THE TIMING CHAIN CAN BE CHANGED WITH OUT REMOVING THE CYCLINDER HEAD OFF THE MOTOR.SHOULD YOU CHANGE THE CAM GEARS AS WELL AS THE CHAIN. IS IT POSSIBLE TO CHANGE THE GEARS.ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED

• blue_beast_wins

Posted August 01, 2003 - 10:24 PM

I haven't had a problem with this at 8000 Ks, you can change the chain without removing the head but not the front guide from memory, i wouldnt bother touching the gears, they are pretty tough.

• Aussie_Rider

Posted August 02, 2003 - 02:54 AM

THANKS FOR THE INFO STEVE. ANY IDEA WHAT A TIMING CHAIN MIGHT BE WORTH.MY BIKE IS STILL RUNNING GREAT, I ONLY GOT CONCERNED ABOUT SOMETHING NOT BEING RIGHT BECAUSE OF THE AMOUNT OF CRAP IN MY OIL FILTER

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • blue_beast_wins

Posted August 02, 2003 - 09:42 PM

From memory a genuine t/chain was about $100

• MN_Kevin

Posted August 03, 2003 - 03:23 AM

you can change the chain without removing the head...

I don't know any other way to do this w/ out pulling the head... :)
As far as I know, the forward guide WILL NOT come off without pulling the cylinder, as least > 5 cm.
You WILL have to pull the flywheel to access the driving gear on the crankshaft.

• PumpkinHumper

Posted August 03, 2003 - 04:37 PM

The timing chain is like $35.

You can replace without removing the head. But I wouldn't recomend it. There is not enough clearance between the forward chain glidder and the gear on the crank to get the chain out. I forced mine out but that is not the way to go.

You have to remove the flywheel, stator, head/cams, forward timing chain slider. Then the chain will come out.

You cannot replace just the cam gears. There may be some aftermarket company that does it. But I havent heard. You need to replace the entire cam.

Look at your gears carefully. If they look ok you may be able to replace just the chain. But the manual recomends replacing the chain and all 3 sprockets at the same time. Your call.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.