Checking Valves and Feeler Gauge Question

42 replies to this topic
  • RidenRed

Posted August 05, 2011 - 08:22 AM

Does anyone know if there is a detailed pictured thread out there that shows a step by step proceedure of adjusting valves? I have a 09 WR450 and have a good hard 2 years of riding on it. I have not adjusted the valves or checked them yet but know it is time. Had Honda's before this and not familiar with the 5 valve setup or the WR motor. Was hoping there was a detailed pic thread out there somewhere like there is for the Honda's? I did some searches but have had no luck?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Sycamore

Posted August 05, 2011 - 10:00 AM

Does anyone know if there is a detailed pictured thread out there that shows a step by step proceedure of adjusting valves? I have a 09 WR450 and have a good hard 2 years of riding on it. I have not adjusted the valves or checked them yet but know it is time. Had Honda's before this and not familiar with the 5 valve setup or the WR motor. Was hoping there was a detailed pic thread out there somewhere like there is for the Honda's? I did some searches but have had no luck?

Good question. Other sites have video of the procedure..that would be way cool:thumbsup:

• GlennR

Posted March 17, 2012 - 12:41 PM

This is a good thread.

I just bought an 08' a few days ago and want to check the valves asap. I've begun and am stuck at removing the rear valve cover socket cap screw, a standard hex key doesn't fit. I guess I'll trim the hex key down a bit. (I didn't recieve a tool kit. Maybe a few helpful special tools came with the bike when new?)

I did get a manual, but there aren't good instructions about what exactly needs to be removed to access the valves. It sure is a tight space to deal with....I sure hope that they are in spec because I'm sure it's no fun pulling the cams etc. to change the shims.

I've had some folks tell me to check the valves every 20 hours and another guy said to do it each oil change. That seems extreme from what I've read in this thread.

Can somebody offer any tips for getting the cover off, or am I almost there, after removing the rear cover screw?

thanks,

Edited by GlennR, March 17, 2012 - 12:43 PM.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.