Checking Valves and Feeler Gauge Question

42 replies to this topic
  • woods-rider

Posted March 08, 2011 - 12:00 PM

I didn't scrutinize your clearances, but in general, you would want to go on the loose side of the spec because the valve clearance will tend to get tighter. That said, the valves on these bikes are so good that you probably won't need another adjustment after this, so you might be OK to go with middle to tighter end of the spec. Really, you'll be OK as long as you're in the range.

Thanks, that's what I wanted to hear. Now I'm off to buy my shims and a new air filter.

• woods-rider

Posted March 08, 2011 - 01:33 PM

So they just had a HotCams shim kit, not OEM shims so I couldn't get the Honda shims and had to stick with .05 mm intervals meaning I couldn't get the 1.775 shim and had to go with another 1.75.

Edited by woods-rider, March 08, 2011 - 09:18 PM.

• byggd

Posted March 08, 2011 - 02:25 PM

For assembly lube you can use a few drops of ATF if you have some around the garage. ATF has VERY high lubrication properties. If not as already stated just use the oil you run in the bike.

• woods-rider

Posted March 08, 2011 - 03:23 PM

I have some of that already too, thanks for the suggestion.

• woods-rider

Posted March 08, 2011 - 09:21 PM

So I got my shims in and the bike back together. The shim that I wanted to use a 1.775 for and ended up getting a 1.75 was too loose with the 1.75 when I got it back together so I used one of the 1.78s I took out of the exhaust side and now all 5 valves are in the middle of spec. She starts much easier now and even starts with the magic button when cold in just a few sec! I used to have to kick it when cold so that is a great sign.

• 02WR426Cali

Posted March 08, 2011 - 09:33 PM

Cool! Glad to hear the good news and that it all worked out for you. Good job

• matt4x4

Posted March 09, 2011 - 06:10 AM

Might be a little late with this, but I forgot to mention that most stay just a few inch lbs below the factory spec for the cam cap torque, no biggie if you torqued up to spec though.

• SXP

Posted March 09, 2011 - 06:20 AM

Might be a little late with this, but I forgot to mention that most stay just a few inch lbs below the factory spec for the cam cap torque, no biggie if you torqued up to spec though.

OP advised of the same on post #6 on page 1.

• byggd

Posted March 09, 2011 - 07:27 AM

May be a dumb question but, why? :thumbsup:

• woods-rider

Posted March 09, 2011 - 07:36 AM

May be a dumb question but, why? :thumbsup:

I was wondering the same thing.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • matt4x4

Posted March 09, 2011 - 11:36 AM

apparently, there isn't any chance they will come loose at 3-5in/lbs less and it eliminates any chance of overtorquing. Apparently, slight overtorquing can lead to binding of the cams which will cease your cam in relatively short order.

• woods-rider

Posted March 09, 2011 - 11:55 AM

My manual only had me torque them to 7.2 ft-lbs.

• 02WR426Cali

Posted March 09, 2011 - 12:00 PM

My manual only had me torque them to 7.2 ft-lbs.

And that is equal to 86 in lbs....

• woods-rider

Posted March 09, 2011 - 12:20 PM

Right, but it sounded to me like matt4x4 was suggesting 3-5 in-lbs which didn't seem right.

• byggd

Posted March 09, 2011 - 12:26 PM

3-5in/lbs [COLOR="Red"]less[/COLOR]

• woods-rider

Posted March 09, 2011 - 12:29 PM

Ahh, gotcha. I must have overlooked that little detail. Well, mine are at 7.2 ft-lbs so I hope that doesn't cause any problems.

• C-P

Posted March 13, 2011 - 06:51 AM

I asked earlier, too - mainly because I broke a cam cap bolt doing my first valve adjust...imagine the crap in my pants when that happened! Likely I was a ft-lb or two over, but I'm guessing that this may not be an uncommon problem (?)

• woods-rider

Posted March 13, 2011 - 07:52 AM

Man, I hope a foot pound or two isn't enough to break the bolts. If it is, that's some scary shiat.

• Sycamore

Posted June 15, 2011 - 02:11 PM

With the Titanium valves once they get tight they will get tight again more often. No telling the exact number of hours but you should check more often after the first adjustment. I think the general rule is usually 3 adjustments max before you get some new valves.
Also you should buy some new feeler gauges that have the correnct numbers to make things easier. My set has .10mm .13mm .15mm .20mm .23mm .25mm etc.
Makes it very easy with increments like this.

getting ready to do mine. Do I need to purchase a special kind of feeler gauge? Angled ones or whatever?

• Sknight

Posted June 15, 2011 - 02:59 PM

I couldn't get my angeled ones in because of obstructions so I just used my straight ones. They flexed right in there.

I'm glad I opened this thread, I've got a couple that are on the tight side and knowing that Honda shims fit and are in .25 steps will be rather useful.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.