Yz450 Race gas?

12 replies to this topic
  • ktmracer53

Posted March 03, 2011 - 07:41 PM

Gonna run race gas (VP 110) or similar, How would it effect on jetting? I just got the bike to run PERFECT:banana: with 91, how much different would it be? Rejet:bonk: or just a twist on the fuel mix screw?

The bike is a 06.

Thanks alot,
Kyle.

• kpersonius264

Posted March 04, 2011 - 03:02 AM

are you running a high compression piston? If not I would just stick to 91. race gas wont make your bike run any different if you have a standard piston.

to answer your question, yes you would most likely have to rejet it. I dont know if you would need bigger or smaller jets but someone on here will know.

Im not trying to tell you what to do but im just trying to save you money haha.

• grayracer513

Posted March 04, 2011 - 08:02 AM

It is true that the bike does not need the additional octane, and will benefit nothing at all by having the excess. But the better race fuels can and will add power when correctly jetted because of their superior fuel chemistry. The problem, of course, is that they are expensive, and if you don't keep paying for it, the power benefit goes away. It ends up being a rather expensive 1 HP over the long term. And you most likely will have to rejet at least a little.

Also, VP110 is not the best choice for a four stroke MX'er. For that, something along the lines of VP U4.4 is more geared to those engines. Look over the VP web site.

Overall, IMO, unless you are racing very seriously, race gas works out to be a big, expensive PITA, and it's not really worth it.

• eazrider

Posted March 04, 2011 - 12:21 PM

I've found you can run a bit more timing with higher octane fuel, and will give you more punch off the bottom and in the midrange....

• WGP

Posted March 04, 2011 - 12:34 PM

kinda off topic but a buddy of mine was saying race fuel won't turn a natural color tank which is white to yellow, which mine has after a couple years?

My white Moose handgaurds turned yellow after 2 years and there not touching fuel?

I think he's full of .......

• grayracer513

Posted March 04, 2011 - 12:41 PM

malarky? Me too.

I've found you can run a bit more timing with higher octane fuel, and will give you more punch off the bottom and in the midrange....

The could very well be, but unless he buys a Power Commander, it's not an option for the OP's '06.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • wags450

Posted March 04, 2011 - 12:46 PM

Im not 100% on this being the same in motorcycles but I know in my race boat with the higher octane we get cooler exhaust temps, which helps keep the motor cooler, because its a cleaner burn. Sometimes when we are going to be running in hot temps we will bump up from 91 pump gas to the vp100 terribles has.

Like I said not sure if the bike will have the same thing in bikes but it does help in a big block

• grayracer513

Posted March 04, 2011 - 12:56 PM

Im not 100% on this being the same in motorcycles but I know in my race boat with the higher octane we get cooler exhaust temps, which helps keep the motor cooler, because its a cleaner burn. Sometimes when we are going to be running in hot temps we will bump up from 91 pump gas to the vp100 terribles has.

Like I said not sure if the bike will have the same thing in bikes but it does help in a big block

Apples and oranges, and the phenomena is unrelated to the octane number.

• ktmracer53

Posted March 04, 2011 - 02:58 PM

Alright guys thanks, i bought Trick 110 just for the heck of it. See how she runs!

• yz450fcranker

Posted March 05, 2011 - 05:08 PM

get c12 i bet 50% of race gassers recommend it

• Jumpin Joe 999

Posted March 06, 2011 - 08:21 AM

Just giving my opinion here. I have a 06 and a 08 YZ 450. The 08 had the carburetor modified and I installed a quick shot 2 on the 06. I use to run pump gas and I switched to Turbo Blue. It does not have ethanol in it and it does have lead which helps lubricate the valves. I noticed a huge difference on the 08, and a smaller but still good difference 06. I believe it is around 115 octane. It is about twice as much as pump gas, but really how much gas do your bikes really use on race day. I usually run 4 motos and 1 practice and I do it all on 1 tank. I think the cost is small when you consider the benefits. Hell look what everyone spends on exhaust and other modifications. I never used any kind of race fuel before so I don't have anything to compare it to, but I am happy with Turbo Blue and I will keep using it. good Luck.

• cablemonkey334

Posted March 06, 2011 - 06:06 PM

so i have a 2010 yz 450 an i m gettin ready to install my gytr head with the gytr cams an a vertex hi comp piston . I already have a full yosh ti system with the pim2 an data box for tunning . jus wondering what race fuel to run ? c12 or 4.4 what would get the job done bang for the buck?

• ktmracer53

Posted March 06, 2011 - 06:15 PM

I looked at 4.4 and it says its for higher day temps. I say get both and see what would work better =]

And thank you guys for all ur help raced with the gas and the bike ran GREAT!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.