GYTR Power Tuner Problem

8 replies to this topic
  • almostinvincible119

Posted March 03, 2011 - 02:25 PM

I've searched and searched and called Yamaha only to be connected to my local dealership to talk to their "technician" that makes 11 dollars an hour and I'm at my wits end.

Problem: When I turn the tuner on disconnected, it powers up fine. BUT when I connect the tuner and press the power button the tuner does nothing. I can disconnect it, take out the batteries, and put them back in and reconnect the tuner and it will respond by flashing the red and orange lights around the center button while I hold the power down.

Not many other yz450s around here to try the tuner on or I would. Anyone else experiencing the same problems?

• 2milehigh

Posted March 03, 2011 - 06:16 PM

My tuner does the same thing. It will turn on when not connected with almost any batteries in it but won't power up when connected to the bike. The only solution I have found is to put brand new batteries in. Give it a try and see if it works for you.

• brentn

Posted March 03, 2011 - 07:10 PM

You don't need batteries to run the tuner when connected to the bike. I have tried this and it works.
If your tuner does not power on as soon as you start the bike with it connected, or the bike is running and you connect it, something is wrong with the tuner.
Make sure that the pins are seated properly in the connectors for the bike and the tuner, other than that there really is not much you can do.
I would email yamaha customer support. For the canadian website you need to provide your VIN before they help you, but they always reply within a couple days for me and they are very knowledgeable.

• rapmil919

Posted March 03, 2011 - 07:15 PM

mine did the same thing until i hooked it up and then started the bike. As soon as the bike started it came right on and now works with the bike on or off. Good Luck

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • almostinvincible119

Posted March 03, 2011 - 08:49 PM

I'll try connecting it tomorrow and starting the bike with it connected. Maybe its just not "mated" up correctly?

Another reason while dirt and electronics don't go together.

• grayracer513

Posted March 03, 2011 - 09:55 PM

In order to overwrite the fuel/timing map, the tuner must be capable of powering up with the engine off. The reason it needs more battery power to do that than to run on its own is because the bike's electrical system uses moe power from the tuner with the engine off. Fresh batteries should fix it.

• eazrider

Posted March 04, 2011 - 04:51 AM

Same problem here...fresh batteries solved the problem.....

• almostinvincible119

Posted March 05, 2011 - 06:58 AM

Thanks guys. Fresh batteries fixed the problem. Didn't think it Would be batteries because the tuner hasnt been used much.

Thanks again, maybe this thread will help someone else too

• HRC

Posted March 05, 2011 - 08:52 AM

Thanks guys. Fresh batteries fixed the problem. Didn't think it Would be batteries because the tuner hasnt been used much.

Thanks again, maybe this thread will help someone else too

Same thing happened to me....fresh batteries is the way to go !

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.