Removing steering stem bearing races

20 replies to this topic
  • ttr250dude

Posted March 02, 2011 - 07:39 PM

How do i remove the steering stem bearing races on my '08? I tried a flathead and hammer but that did nothing.

• CaptainKnobby

Posted March 02, 2011 - 08:55 PM

How do i remove the steering stem bearing races on my '08? I tried a flathead and hammer but that did nothing.

Are you meaning a flathead screw driver. I use a aluminum rod and hammer and have no trouble. Just make sure you stay on the edge of the race when you are hitting because the edge of the race is right at the aluminum part of the stem and if you aint careful you can put the punch on that part and think you are on the race,I almost done that one time but caught it before I struck the aluminum rod.
Anything will work to lay on the race as long as it is flat and made of metal. I perfer something about the size in diameter of a pencil eraser and long enough to stick out the top steering hole at least 8 inches.

• grayracer513

Posted March 02, 2011 - 09:53 PM

Take a foot long piece of heavy exhaust tubing slightly smaller than the inside diameter of the steering races and split it half way up with a saw so that it is cut on two sides. Using a screwdriver or something, wedge the split open until it's a little wider than the inside of the steering head tube.

Insert the tube uncut end first into one of the bearings and pull it through until the widened end clicks into place behind the bearing, then proceed to drive the bearing out by using a hammer on the uncut end. Capping the uncut end will help it work better.

• ttr250dude

Posted March 02, 2011 - 10:37 PM

Gray, i already got the bearings out. I just need to get the races out. The race is the thing between the bearing needles and frame right?

• CaptainKnobby

Posted March 03, 2011 - 06:07 AM

Gray, i already got the bearings out. I just need to get the races out. The race is the thing between the bearing needles and frame right?

I believe he means the race. He is just letting you know of a way to get the race out. His Idea is pretty good if you understad what he is telling ya.

The way he is approaching it will be a better strike against the race with a hammer.
His method of doing it involves a pipe being cut so far up the pipe at one end (splitting it).

Then you spread that split a little bit wider than the outskirts of the top of the race and then you take the end of the pipe that is normal (no cut in it) and push it upthrough the steering hole (from the bottom up) till it comes out at the top and then you slowly pull up on the pipe untill you feel or hear a click at the end of the pipe is split to let ya know that end of the pipe has spread outward and is laying against the top of the race. At this point you would try and to check (by looking down the steering tube) to make sure the split end of the pipe is in fact on top of the race.

Take a hammer and hit the top of the pipe and that way you get a good solid hit on the top of the race all the way around (instead of just a portion of the race like when useing a punch and having to tap the race and different spots).

• grayracer513

Posted March 03, 2011 - 07:48 AM

That's what I'm talking about.

• StoneRacer

Posted March 03, 2011 - 11:10 AM

if you put a lite weld on the race it will fall right out

• howard113

Posted March 03, 2011 - 07:50 PM

• DPW

Posted March 04, 2011 - 03:21 AM

almost to easy, http://www.parktool....ead-cup-remover

Posted Image

• grayracer513

Posted March 04, 2011 - 08:03 AM

Posted Image

Yup, same idea. :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ubu

Posted March 04, 2011 - 09:21 AM

When I did mine, based on a search here, I took a pipe slightly smaller than the head tube, slid it through, and wedged a chisel between the race and pipe. Then, beat the end of the pipe with a hammer. The hammer wasn't doing it, I didn't feel like digging through the shed to find a sledge, so I beat the pipe with my 2" ball hitch. Popped right out :thumbsup:

I like grayracer's method better:busted:

• ttr250dude

Posted March 04, 2011 - 11:04 PM

Thanks for the help guys. With my luck im sure I'll damage the races and still not be able to knock them out. Thats just how things work for me :thumbsup: I think i'm just gonna replace the bearings and seals. I think that should fix the notchy feel. If not, then i'll take it apart again and replace the races. I dont feel the notchy thing when the wheel is on the ground, only when the bike is on the stand and front tire is off the ground. So it's not a huge deal anyway. What do yall think?

• DPW

Posted March 05, 2011 - 09:04 AM

Thanks for the help guys. With my luck im sure I'll damage the races and still not be able to knock them out. Thats just how things work for me :thumbsup: I think i'm just gonna replace the bearings and seals. I think that should fix the notchy feel. If not, then i'll take it apart again and replace the races. I dont feel the notchy thing when the wheel is on the ground, only when the bike is on the stand and front tire is off the ground. So it's not a huge deal anyway. What do yall think?

replace the races too...it's easy to knock them out...

• ttr250dude

Posted March 05, 2011 - 08:07 PM

replace the races too...it's easy to knock them out...

Maybe my bike is just being difficult.. idk. I spent quite a bit of time trying to get them out and neither of them would budge.

• CaptainKnobby

Posted March 06, 2011 - 09:21 AM

You are either not hitting the race hard enough or you are hitting the lip of the frame (which if you were hitting that) you would know it after a couple of hits cause you would have damaged the steering frame lip.

• DPW

Posted March 06, 2011 - 10:43 AM

Maybe my bike is just being difficult.. idk. I spent quite a bit of time trying to get them out and neither of them would budge.

did you try the tool I posted? $33 and a hammer....good to go

the right tool makes all the difference, are both races still in the frame?

• ttr250dude

Posted March 06, 2011 - 12:16 PM

Both races are still in the frame. The bottom one looks fine and doesn't feel pitted but the top one should be replaced. As for the tool, i'll have to see what my next paycheck looks like.

• ttr250dude

Posted March 07, 2011 - 01:10 PM

Come to think of it I will be able to get the tool. I forgot that my dad pays for tools :thumbsup: I'll keep u guys updated.

Edited by ttr250dude, March 08, 2011 - 12:15 AM.

• rickallen124

Posted March 07, 2011 - 09:43 PM

Posted Image

This tool makes it really easy to take your races out. Park tool has some really good stuff.

• ttr250dude

Posted March 14, 2011 - 06:05 PM

Update: I didnt bother trying to mess with removing the races again. I put everything back together today and put a bunch of 0W-30 on the bearings. The top race had a bunch of deep scratches on it so i oiled that too. It turns freely and the notchy feeling is completely gone. Succes. :thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.