Which steering head race goes on Top

5 replies to this topic
  • PAdaytonaman

Posted March 02, 2011 - 05:48 PM

Stupid question,

But an all balls kit, doesn't have part #s designated for top and bottom race and I thought I would check which one goes on top. Thick or thin.

There is about a .004 difference in the 2 pairs of races/bearings.

Thanks

• grayracer513

Posted March 02, 2011 - 08:56 PM

The upper bearing should be an exact slip fit on the stem, with no discernible clearance to speak of. The lower needs to be a press fit.

• mdkcrf250r

Posted March 03, 2011 - 04:59 AM

I dont remember there being a difference but your supposed to keep the bearings and races as a pair. In other words dont mix up the races. I went through the same dilemma but I cant remember anymore.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • CaptainKnobby

Posted March 03, 2011 - 05:47 AM

Stupid question,

But an all balls kit, doesn't have part #s designated for top and bottom race and I thought I would check which one goes on top. Thick or thin.

There is about a .004 difference in the 2 pairs of races/bearings.

Thanks

I just put a set in mine not long ago and I'm pretty certain the thicker race was for the top bearing that went in at the top.

• PAdaytonaman

Posted March 03, 2011 - 08:01 PM

Yes,

The thicker race does go on top, but the difference between the 2 oem races is only about .002. The all balls kit has a .004 difference. I'm not sure what to think about that, but it all went back together nicely.

BTW, I can't believe how wet it was inside the steering stem. I haven't washed the bike in months. That top seal sucks balls. This time I used Marine grease and will hope for the best. I think what did it in was storing it for the season and not disassembling everything before that. I was in good shape during the first year and a half. I serviced everything new and again at 10, and 20 hours and it looked fine. At another 13 and its was toast. I guess I'll be shortening that interval a bit.

• Justin Pearson

Posted July 19, 2011 - 08:30 AM

I would recommend Pivot Works or OEM as it has the new "extra seal" incorporated in the top bearing. I still get some water in from time to time but it has cut down bearing replacement to once a year instead of once a quarter! =)

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.