Rear Tire Alignment

4 replies to this topic
  • Orlandorider

Posted March 02, 2011 - 02:52 PM

I have a question regarding aligning the rear tire after I changed out my chain and sprocket. I adjusted the chain pullers to the same mark on the puller and the frame but the tire looks like it is at an angle inside the swingarm. It is closer to the right side of the swingarm than the left. I would expect this to affect the traction and tire wear on the wheel. Any ideas on why this is or how to fix?

• grayracer513

Posted March 02, 2011 - 03:19 PM

Be sure on the YZ's to read the marks from back to front. The left side block has a lip on the front edge that prevents the axle from turning as the nut is tightened (at least, it's supposed to be on the front of the left side, if the PO hasn't reversed it). Counting from the front back will have you off by one full mark.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Orlandorider

Posted March 03, 2011 - 10:09 AM

Thanks, that is not in the manual. I looked this morning and it appears that counting from the back I am off by 2 full marks. It is difficult to see the marks behind the lobes on the axle. Do you think there is any problem with cutting the top down so I can see? Of course only the top, I know I need to leave the one side flat so that you can tighten the bolt on the axle.

• woods-rider

Posted March 03, 2011 - 10:42 AM

Just count from the back to the first part of the axle (farthest towards the rear). It should be flat on that side making it easy to count to.

• Chas_M

Posted March 03, 2011 - 05:15 PM

Using the indicated marks will get you in the ballpark, but for proper alignment you need to align the rear wheel to the front wheel. I do this visually from front to back then back to front. You can get close to perfect alignment this way.

Related Content

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.