dropping the clamps on a yz450

17 replies to this topic
  • tmyers-299

Posted March 01, 2011 - 09:50 PM

my 2010 yz steal kinda feels a little off in corners my friend told me to drop the top clamp down and itl handle like a honda any one know how good of a idea that is???

• huskymad127

Posted March 02, 2011 - 02:25 AM

Are you sure he didn't mean lower/raise the forks in the triple clamps?

• Steel Panther

Posted March 02, 2011 - 09:52 AM

why would you want it to handle like a honda, have you ever ridden one of those stink bugs? Id say try some different sag measurements before you drop the forks.

• grayracer513

Posted March 02, 2011 - 12:02 PM

How would you describe the problem with the way the bike handles now?

• tmyers-299

Posted March 03, 2011 - 12:29 AM

How would you describe the problem with the way the bike handles now?

well the way it handles is fine untill you go to rail a burm in third or fourth, its alot better then the 09s and earlyer but its still kinda got the feeling of the front end is gonna wash out like ya got a flat or something its not bad but its a sketch in fourth enough to make ya think twice i just need the extra comfort if you know what i mean.
and drop the top of the tripple clamps down not way down but like 12 mila meters.

the 2010 yz450f deff has 98% of the bugs worked out its a bike ya gotta ride and be amazed but them few that they aint got arent the biggest deals but hauling ass on ruff terain aint so easy all the times

• yzdaddy

Posted March 03, 2011 - 05:23 AM

if your running stock tires throw em away get some descent tires. You might spend some time tweeking on your suspension, if that doesn t help then scoot up on your seat.

• CaptainKnobby

Posted March 03, 2011 - 05:45 AM

if your running stock tires throw em away get some descent tires. You might spend some time tweeking on your suspension, if that doesn t help then scoot up on your seat.

Thats my main problem. Staying scooted up on the seat. hen I turn that throttle and you arent holding on good,it'll scoot ya back.

90% of times of the reason why the bikes dont turn good.......is do to the fact we dont lean them over far enough. It is just that feeling we get when we lean into a curve. If we start going to far we get afraid of turning over when in fact we should lean that much more.

• grayracer513

Posted March 03, 2011 - 09:17 AM

Compared to the earlier model YZ450's, most people who are uncomfortable with the handling complain of the bike being too willing to turn in, to the point where it feels as if the bike will turn the front end under, or "knife" down toward the inside of the turn. This will absolutely not be improved by raising the forks in the clamps (or "dropping the clamps", as you put it), and in fact, that would increase the tendency it already has.

If, however, the bike feels unwilling to turn in and wants to push like the older ones do, it could be because you aren't far enough up on the bike (a habit that should have caused all kinds of trouble on your '09), or it could be that you're running too much sag at the rear.

• tmyers-299

Posted March 03, 2011 - 02:29 PM

Compared to the earlier model YZ450's, most people who are uncomfortable with the handling complain of the bike being too willing to turn in, to the point where it feels as if the bike will turn the front end under, or "knife" down toward the inside of the turn. This will absolutely not be improved by raising the forks in the clamps (or "dropping the clamps", as you put it), and in fact, that would increase the tendency it already has.

If, however, the bike feels unwilling to turn in and wants to push like the older ones do, it could be because you aren't far enough up on the bike (a habit that should have caused all kinds of trouble on your '09), or it could be that you're running too much sag at the rear.

i have gone threw idk how many tires front and rear now little help not much

im up on that tank as much as i can possibly be ive made tweaks to my suspenion time after time which is why i was thinkin maybe it was in the forks

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted March 03, 2011 - 03:43 PM

Which scenario of the two I posted best describes your problem?

• tmyers-299

Posted March 04, 2011 - 10:58 PM

Which scenario of the two I posted best describes your problem?

like it dont wanna turn for nothin almost as if the tire wasnt even on the ground i can feather the front break and still nothin i have to back out of the throttle before anything happens for me idk what the ****
and on top of that i have my suspenion adjusted to were it wont bottom out and to were it feels right comin off of whoops and out of washes and what ever comes alone and im a bigger guy so i might just have to stop bitchin till i get enough money for a after market suspenion idk

Edited by tmyers-299, March 04, 2011 - 11:06 PM.
not finished

• grayracer513

Posted March 06, 2011 - 07:53 PM

If you are heavier than 190 in street clothes, the trouble is probably that you need springs to match your weight.

• Chazmagnum

Posted March 06, 2011 - 08:01 PM

Had the same problem till I got the correct springs.

• tmyers-299

Posted March 06, 2011 - 11:43 PM

Had the same problem till I got the correct springs.

yea well im probably 260 geard up with a camel back and tools so idk like i said maybe i need to stop bitchen till i get fat boy shocks lol thanks for the help yall

• YamaLink

Posted March 07, 2011 - 06:11 AM

Definitely new/heavier springs is the #1 thing to do.

yea well im probably 260 geard up with a camel back and tools so idk like i said maybe i need to stop bitchen till i get fat boy shocks lol thanks for the help yall

• bjn

Posted March 10, 2011 - 10:37 PM

I had the same problem (I switched from riding my friends 2010 KTM which carved great to the 2010 YZ 450). Didn't want to turn...front wanted to push out (not under). Lighter springs helped, but the best results came when I moved the forks 5mm up through the clamps. Its easy to try and doesn't cost anything to change it back if you don't like it. A turn or two (tighter) on the rear preload seemed to help as well. I am no expert, this is just trial an error on my part.

• HRC

Posted March 11, 2011 - 01:13 AM

like it dont wanna turn for nothin almost as if the tire wasnt even on the ground i can feather the front break and still nothin i have to back out of the throttle before anything happens for me idk what the ****
and on top of that i have my suspenion adjusted to were it wont bottom out and to were it feels right comin off of whoops and out of washes and what ever comes alone and im a bigger guy so i might just have to stop bitchin till i get enough money for a after market suspenion idk

If the bike doesn´t want to turn these things can have something to do with it:

1. Stiff springs in frontfork that makes the suspension high in it´s stroke.

2. Frontfork low in the clamps. Try to higher the fork position in the clamps.

3. You sit too far back on the seat. ( The first time I rode the new Yamaha I also felt the cornering was a little off, but I relaised that I sat too much in the middle of the seat. Try to get farther forward when cornering ! I can recommend the Acerbis X-seat which is a little higher and flatter than stock seat, makes it easier to get more forward position in corners.

4. How is your rearwheel-axle positioned ? If it is far back in swingarm this makes your bike more stable on straights but harder to turn.

5. Check your tire pressure...to much air ?

6. Front tire in good condition ?

Good luck !

• darius228

Posted March 11, 2011 - 03:28 AM

I was having the same trouble, Yes I am running the stock front tire but it's still descent. Yes my rear axle is most of the way back in the swing arm, I set my sag at 104, and I've got my fork's raised in the clamps like 3/16", I don't have metric tape measures..... I did the math for my sag because I knew about what I was going after. I took a shot in the dark and it work's great for me, I feel now that I am on the verge of the front end knifing, I think it's a fine line, it feel's like how I think it should in the tighter corners, plus I'm short and anything I can do to get the thing lower is great. I prefer to run my rear axle back, and my set up is working pretty good, I am by far no expert, but I don't have much to complain about so I'm gonna leave it alone. The next step is a lowering link and some professional suspension work then it'll start all over again.

Good luck.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.