'09 yz450 vs. '09 wr450

34 replies to this topic
  • 450motard

Posted March 04, 2011 - 10:16 AM

Coming from a guy riding a YZ450, I'd say get a KTM. lol

I've been riding with a bunch of KTM guys lately and I do envy their electric start, without the feel of a mushy WR450.

• pudracer

Posted March 04, 2011 - 04:01 PM

Ha ha 450motard!!

I was going to say the same thing but thought i would be yelled at :thumbsup:

I have a '10 yfz450 and love it but have come off a 08 ktm exc450. most of my riding is back to trail riding and not racing anymore, as much as i love the 'grin factor' of the yz, for practicality, would go back to ktm (e-start, gearing, road legal...).

When i lived in the U.K i rode KTM as the majority did, but a few mates had wr's and when swapping bikes i found they were like getting off a mx bike and getting on a old XR250, heavy, slow, couch like... to be honest i don't understand why there is such a big contrast between the feel of the yzf and wr.

but at the end of the day it comes down to what you like, see if they will let you test ride them and then you will know.

• The Hopper Show

Posted March 04, 2011 - 04:13 PM

cant afford a new ktm and have not found any leftovers. these two bikes in question are right at the top of my budget. if i dont get one of these two, i will be looking for a used bike. and thus, probably a used two stroke as i do not trust buying a used four stroke.

you guys make this hard. sounds like i would have a hell of alot more fun on the yz, but the wr might be a better trail bike.:thumbsup:

• tmoney302

Posted March 04, 2011 - 05:11 PM

I bought an 08 yz450 in 08, got back into racing for a year, then got tired of it again and started getting back into riding trails again. After riding a friends uncorked wr450 I was impressed with the performance. Felt like riding another 450 on terms of power. Suspension wasn't bad either. But what I really loved was its wide ratio gearing. Since then I've found myself turning my yz into a wr. I've put the wr gearing in it, a heavy flywheel, 18inch wheel with trials tire for the tight trails, a couple other small things, and its just been a fun all around bike. If I was shopping for a bike again I think I'd go with the WR or another trail oriented bike. They're purpose built for that kind of riding. I wouldn't underestimate the performance of a WR. My background-25, 170lbs, raced moto on/off 6yrs expert.

• The Hopper Show

Posted March 04, 2011 - 05:54 PM

what did you think about the weight difference?

• tmoney302

Posted March 04, 2011 - 06:27 PM

I didn't get to jump it, but rode it on some ditch trails in some fairly large sized whoops and I didn't notice a difference. The front end carried up in air nice over them. I could see maybe in some tight stuff or large jumps it would probably be noticeable. If the suspension is too soft for someone it could make a bike feel heavy too. I didn't think it was too soft, but then again I'm probably on the light side of what most bikes are sprung for.

• tmoney302

Posted March 04, 2011 - 06:33 PM

If you think you're gonna be riding with kids and doing the family thing, little things like a kickstand or elec start would be nice. I know when I take my wife out riding and I have to help her get her bike thru/over something, it sucks when there's not a tree nearby to lean it up against. It's always "come hold my bike and I'll ride it across"

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 450motard

Posted March 04, 2011 - 08:40 PM

The YZ can be made into a good trail bike. Sure, you won't have the creature comfort of electric start or a headlight, but you'll have an extremely capable bike that can handle anything. A YZ450 with a gearing change and some suspension tweaking makes for a fun bike in the trails. I have a '10, but I also added a PMB kickstand, IMS oversize tank, skid plates, MRD exhaust and a Rekluse Z-Start Pro (best thing ever!).

You didn't mention this in your original thread, but why a 450? I'm a big guy (6'-3" 225 pounds) and I do the motard gig a few times a year (hoping to increase that a bit), so I ride a 450. If my bike were solely for trail riding, I would buy a 250F, no doubt about it. The 250 will climb anything you aim it at and it'll take less of your energy to throw it around in the tight stuff.

On a recent trail ride, I was struggling with my bone stock YZ450 and several of the KTM guys I was riding with were giving me a hard time. Someone made the comment "he brought a gun to a knife fight", and he was pretty much spot on. I've made several changes and it's much more enjoyable in the woods, but stock, it's not a great trail bike.

Having said all that, I would still buy the YZ over the WR if I had it to do all over again, but I'm young(ish) and I still have a lot of adrenalin junkie left in me.

• Gunner354

Posted March 06, 2011 - 01:01 PM

what did you think about the weight difference?

The wr flat wears you out. The yz rides and feels like it is 50lbs lighter than it is.

• glenned

Posted March 10, 2011 - 01:50 AM

I have a different opinion than most seem to have here about the WR. I have an '08 WR 450 and I really like it. I ride everything from tight rocky trails to open desert. I never motocross and I never land big jumps anymore. I'm 58 years old and have been riding big bores most of my life, including a Kawasaki KX 500 two stroke.

My WR has the GYTR kit in it to uncork it. The power is plenty adequate.

What many describe as mushy suspension, I would describe as supple. The bike is superb at keeping the wheels in contact with the ground over rough terrain. It soaks up ledges and whoops better than any other bike I have ridden. I have not ridden a newer YZ, so I can't make that comparison. I can balance myself directly over the footpegs without leaning back at all and I get absolutely no rear wheel kick or side hop going through deep whoops at 45 mph. On the down side, I do bottom the suspension out several times a day so it is not perfect.

The bike is a bit heavy, but it doesn't feel like it when riding it at moderate or fast speeds. In most situations it feels much lighter than it actually is. Where I really feel the weight is in picking my way through trials type rocky sections. Once it starts to fall over, it is hard to stop it.

However, the additional weight comes from the additional equipment on it. It is the weight of the starter, lights, battery, kick stand, skid plate, etc. Is the starter and light worth the weight? I really don't know. I have gotten myself into several tight spots where I could not have kick started the bike, and so the starter has saved me a lot of grief.

The WR does not corner as well as the KTM two strokes that many of my friends ride, but I can ride it through the whoops at a faster speed than they can their KTMs.

Hope this gives you a feel for what the WR450 is like. IMO it is a fantastic trail bike, a very good desert bike, and would be completely ill suited for a motocross track. The starter is a definite assett, but you do pay a price in weight.

Glenn

• primerib108

Posted March 10, 2011 - 06:33 AM

Had both bikes.....YZ has proven to be a better match to my riding style. Had to get used to the tall first gear but it did make me a way faster rider on the trails. IMO the WR is an excellent bike for the casual rider and the e-start almost makes up for the YZ nimbleness. I used to be flat out exhausted when I first started riding the YZ on the trails because the old WR was much more plush for really rough terrain.

• Gunner354

Posted March 10, 2011 - 01:45 PM

Had both bikes.....YZ has proven to be a better match to my riding style. Had to get used to the tall first gear but it did make me a way faster rider on the trails. IMO the WR is an excellent bike for the casual rider and the e-start almost makes up for the YZ nimbleness. I used to be flat out exhausted when I first started riding the YZ on the trails because the old WR was much more plush for really rough terrain.

I experienced just te opposite. I could ride the yz twice as long because of the light feeling and nimbleness. I guess it depends on what type of rider you are and your weight. I weigh 185 and feel the yz suspension to be magical for trail riding. The faster and harder it is pushed the better it is.
The tall first gear is totally eliminated with the Rekluse Pro.

• ttr250dude

Posted March 10, 2011 - 01:51 PM

Get the YZ and put a heavier flywheel on it and a bigger rear sprocket. Thats what i have and love it on wooded single track.

• primerib108

Posted March 10, 2011 - 01:57 PM

I experienced just te opposite. I could ride the yz twice as long because of the light feeling and nimbleness. I guess it depends on what type of rider you are and your weight. I weigh 185 and feel the yz suspension to be magical for trail riding. The faster and harder it is pushed the better it is.
The tall first gear is totally eliminated with the Rekluse Pro.

My problem was how fierce the power came on by a flick of the throttle and the taller first gear had me feathering the clutch way more than I did with the WR. I started to wear out quick and the death grip caused me problems that almost resulted in some very near misses. After a month the benifets of a lighter bike started to pay dividends once I got used how the bike worked. You are right on about the YZ suspension....I noticed the benifets from high speed riding and cornering.

• Gunner354

Posted March 10, 2011 - 04:15 PM

My problem was how fierce the power came on by a flick of the throttle and the taller first gear had me feathering the clutch way more than I did with the WR. I started to wear out quick and the death grip caused me problems that almost resulted in some very near misses. After a month the benifets of a lighter bike started to pay dividends once I got used how the bike worked. You are right on about the YZ suspension....I noticed the benifets from high speed riding and cornering.

I can't emphasize enough that the Rekluse Pro eliminates the tall first gear feeling and no clutching is normally required. The need for a flywheel to prevent stalling is also eliminated with the Rekluse.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.