478 big bore and valves

14 replies to this topic
  • clayton228

Posted March 01, 2011 - 04:29 PM

i ordered 478 big bore by cylinder works and valves 2mm over from kibblewhite has anyone install this set up. is there clearence in the piston to allow proper valve to piston clearence

• JDLowrance

Posted March 01, 2011 - 07:07 PM

Not sure about clearance issues but you're gonna need to have the seats either cut to fit or replaced (not sure which) to work with the larger valve diameter.

John

• JDLowrance

Posted March 01, 2011 - 07:08 PM

Looking forward to your impressions of the piston/cylinder kit.

John

• GCannon

Posted March 02, 2011 - 08:38 AM

Have you considered porting the cylinder head? I seems to me that increasing the valve size will require a lot of port work to realize the increased volumetric efficiency of the oversize valves. this will be of particular importance in the valve throat area near the valve seats.

• GuyGraham

Posted March 03, 2011 - 04:38 AM

kibblewhite valves ain't got a good rep on the DRZ forum

• pwrpapa

Posted March 04, 2011 - 04:46 AM

You will have to cut larger valve pockets to fit the 2mm oversize valves.
And for the kibblewhites having a bad rap on the DRZ forum that's because the people over there are idiots and don't know what there doing so they blame it on the valves..kids with wrenches are dangerous...:thumbsup:

I see nobody here could answer the posters question but me, DUH.....:smirk:

• GuyGraham

Posted March 05, 2011 - 03:05 AM

You will have to cut larger valve pockets to fit the 2mm oversize valves.
And for the kibblewhites having a bad rap on the DRZ forum that's because the people over there are idiots and don't know what there doing so they blame it on the valves..kids with wrenches are dangerous...:thumbsup:

I see nobody here could answer the posters question but me, DUH.....:smirk:

I think Eddie Sisneros might disagree with you there

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • pwrpapa

Posted March 05, 2011 - 04:09 AM

I think Eddie Sisneros might disagree with you there

So you're speaking for Mr. Sisneros?
Well then shed some light why they have a bad rap.

• GuyGraham

Posted March 06, 2011 - 02:51 AM

http://www.thumperta...200&postcount=6

http://www.thumperta...055&postcount=7

http://www.thumperta...33&postcount=10

and so it goes on & on

just search "Kibblewhite Junk"

Eddie has an unquestionable reputation on this forum, so whilst I have no experience of kibblewhites personally, his word is enough to make me avoid them

• clayton228

Posted March 06, 2011 - 06:56 AM

I give this question a few days looking for answers and for some reason only one person answered it. The rest of you should run for office because all you have done was answer a question that wasn't asked.

Edited by clayton228, March 06, 2011 - 12:17 PM.

• GuyGraham

Posted March 07, 2011 - 04:42 AM

Perhaps you should now be asking if you really want Kibblewhite valves in your bike!

If Kibblewhite haven't supplied you this info, then surely that reason enough to avoid them, after they ought to know

• MANIAC998

Posted March 07, 2011 - 05:33 AM

Clayton, Before you get all fired-up about no one answering your question, why don't you measure the clearances for yourself? A newbie that hasn't provided any help to anyone else on this site that gets pissed off at us for not helping him might have some growing up to do. Did you try the search function? Or did you even try calling Cylinder Works or Kibblewhite? Personally, I would have tried them first, and then STILL measured the clearances for myself. I'd rather have piece of mind KNOWING that my clearances were fine. Maniac

• pwrpapa

Posted March 07, 2011 - 05:58 AM

Perhaps you should now be asking if you really want Kibblewhite valves in your bike!

If Kibblewhite haven't supplied you this info, then surely that reason enough to avoid them, after they ought to know

Have you done a search here in this forum?
I run the KB valves and never had any problems with them. I did a search in all the forums and people are happy with their product.
It seems that only eddie for the most part is trashing them.

Have you run the KB valves or are you just going from what eddie has told you?
If the valves are junk like you say they are you should contact KB and tell them what kind of problems you are having with their product.

• zrxer

Posted March 07, 2011 - 06:49 AM

Happy Kibblewhite customer here. I've run their valves in several of my Honda XR builds. Not one problem so far.

• GuyGraham

Posted March 07, 2011 - 11:11 AM

Have you done a search here in this forum?
I run the KB valves and never had any problems with them. I did a search in all the forums and people are happy with their product.
It seems that only eddie for the most part is trashing them.

Have you run the KB valves or are you just going from what eddie has told you?
If the valves are junk like you say they are you should contact KB and tell them what kind of problems you are having with their product.

Like I said, I aint used them personally, but there's enough instance on the DRZ section of people having trouble with them to make me want to avoid them.

I never said they were junk
That was just search terms I said to use
If you re-read my posts, you;ll see I've never made any definitive statement about them, I merely stated they aint got a good rep on the DRZ forum.

I'm glad for you, that you haven't had any problems :thumbsup:

this is what forums are for
To share Good and bad experiences
I sure can't recall any praise fro kibblewhite stuff, zrexr excepted

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.