How much flywheel weight for a 2008 YZF 450?

32 replies to this topic
  • Brandon Meidam

Posted February 28, 2011 - 09:42 PM

I just picked up a 2008 YZF450. I ride mostly trails and would like to put a flywheel weight on it for a little more low end torque. I don't want to loose any top end power or revs. What weights are you guys running or would suggest for my application?

Thanks in advance for the help

Brandon

• Gunner354

Posted February 28, 2011 - 10:12 PM

You will not get more low end torque from a flywheel weight. I suggest an 06 cdi or a higher compression piston if you want more low grunt.

• coreyl

Posted February 28, 2011 - 11:02 PM

i would not get a fww. it is not necessary.

• Mr. Neutron

Posted March 01, 2011 - 09:09 AM

Hi, Brandon!

Since you ride mostly trails, I would recommend the Yamaha GYTR Off Road Flywheel, or something similar from Steahly. (Not trying to be argumentive, coreyl. Just going on my own experience here.....)

I have one on my '06, and like it a lot. I ride mostly track practice days (indoor & out), Old Timer's/Vet class racing a few times a year, and some trail days. The heavier flywheel isn't really noticed except when I get sloppy brakesliding into corners, jumping stumps while trail riding , & such. It seems to really help me towards the end of a moto, when I'm, tired. The power still comes on strong, but just a hair less "suddenly". Makes things a little more controllable..... :thumbsup: The bike can & will still flame out on me, but it does it less often.

I've not found a place yet selling the Yamaha GYTR Off Road flywheels for less than my local Yamaha dealer in Fairview, OR. Ya gotta buy online to get their price break......

Click here for the link to the GYTR Off-Road Flywheel.

Jimmie

Edited by Diesel Goober, March 08, 2011 - 06:18 PM.
Corrected the link

• Fabulous

Posted March 01, 2011 - 09:44 AM

I just got the TT store to price match your local store. I feel good about helping out the TT community, so I ordered from them.

• grayracer513

Posted March 01, 2011 - 12:21 PM

In my opinion, the bike should have been built with something even heavier than the GYT-R flywheel, and the benefits of using one far outweigh any disadvantages one might imagine. It's not a huge difference, but it's a positive improvement in overall performance.

• skull1971

Posted March 02, 2011 - 06:55 PM

I got a GYT-R 4.8 ounce flywheel from a dealer in FL for $94 delivered to my door. I'm going back together with the cases and will tell ya what I think when I get it together.

• Brandon Meidam

Posted March 02, 2011 - 09:19 PM

So, It looks like they make a 4.8oz flywheel and a 9.4oz flywheel for my bike. Do you guys think one is better than the other if I decide to run one? I also had a power now valve on my old 426 which helped a lot on the low end and throttle response. I got a good deal on one on ebay, so I may start with that and give it another test ride before I go for a heavier flywheel.

• grayracer513

Posted March 02, 2011 - 09:56 PM

Go with the heavier one. The lighter unit makes so little difference that it's pointless.

• skull1971

Posted March 03, 2011 - 04:55 AM

Go with the heavier one. The lighter unit makes so little difference that it's pointless.

Gee, thanks!:thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • geshields

Posted March 03, 2011 - 06:18 AM

I just put the heavier flywheel in mine(part #50-50) and find no discernible difference as far as acceleration. I was getting better drive out of the corners, better traction, more controllable power and better lap times with less fatigue on the track.

I have to agree with grayracer on this one, Yamaha should have put this on there as OEM. Go with the heavier one!

• grayracer513

Posted March 03, 2011 - 09:20 AM

Gee, thanks!:thumbsup:

No problem.

• Brandon Meidam

Posted March 03, 2011 - 06:24 PM

Thanks guys. I am going to try out my power now valve and zipty mixture screw first to see how it feels on test ride number two. I may look into the heavier flywheel if I still don't like how the power feels. The big thing i notice is the power is not as smooth, have stalled a few times and the engine breaking is not as good as my 426 was. (added a 6 oz flywheel weight on that bike) Don't get me wrong, I love the bike. Just need to get her dialed in for my ridding style.

• DPW

Posted March 05, 2011 - 09:09 AM

The big thing i notice is the power is not as smooth, have stalled a few times.

here this will fix your issues>>>

Fits '06~'09 YZ450F
Adds 9.21 oz. for an inertia mass of 6.15 kg-cm² (stock inertia mass=3.8 kg-cm²)
GYT-2S297-50-50 $104.95

easy to install and cheap...

• Brandon Meidam

Posted March 05, 2011 - 12:05 PM

Thank you for the advice. I think I am going to go that route. I am so use to the feel of the heavier flywheel. It really helps on the trails and the tight stuff.

here this will fix your issues>>>

Fits '06~'09 YZ450F
Adds 9.21 oz. for an inertia mass of 6.15 kg-cm² (stock inertia mass=3.8 kg-cm²)
GYT-2S297-50-50 $104.95

easy to install and cheap...

• kempcrete

Posted March 08, 2011 - 03:44 PM

Did any of you guys notice a whining noise after intall of your fly wheels? Maybe whining is not the word but a distinct noise that wasn't there before install.

• primerib108

Posted March 08, 2011 - 04:27 PM

The tolerances are VERY close to the case and the counter-balance shaft......may want to pull the cover off and check.

• grayracer513

Posted March 08, 2011 - 04:37 PM

Do you have an aftermarket skid plate?

• Mr. Neutron

Posted March 08, 2011 - 06:16 PM

I made an "amendment" to my earlier post (I went back & fixed the link).....

I incorrectly gave a link to the lighter GYTR flywheel in my earlier post, and didn't realize it..... I truly apologize for that.

The heavier off-road flywheel's p/n is GYT-2S297-50-50. Adds 9.21 oz. for an inertia mass of 6.15 kg-cm² (stock inertia mass=3.8 kg-cm²).

Here's the correct link for the heavier off-road flywheel.

Cool thing is that, for the '06-'09 models, the price is still $78.71. And even cooler is that the TT store matched that price from my local Yamaha dealer! :thumbsup:

The link I gave earlier is to the "not-so-heavy" GYTR flywheel, GYT-2S297-50-00. Adds 4.83 oz. for an inertia mass of 4.9 kg-cm² (stock inertia mass=3.8 kg-cm²).

Those last two numbers do make a difference, and I aplogize for any confusion I might've caused....... Man, I hope nobody bought the wrong one because of my error there..... :smirk:

Jimmie

• skull1971

Posted March 09, 2011 - 05:04 AM

I incorrectly gave a link to the lighter GYTR flywheel in my earlier post, and didn't realize it..... I truly apologize for that.

....... Man, I hope nobody bought the wrong one because of my error there..... :thumbsup:

Jimmie

You will be shot at dawn!!

HAHAHA!!!!:smirk:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.