First 450!

8 replies to this topic
  • blueberg17

Posted February 28, 2011 - 10:28 AM

I'm picking up a '08 yz450f. Super clean bike. Still has stock chain, sprockets, tires, etc. Pretty sure this thing hasn't seen many miles in the mud or sand!

I'm coming from 250 2t, and all I keep hearing is 450 4t is the way to go... so I finally pulled the trigger on this deal.

One thing that concerns me is the excessive engine noise on the top end. I've searched the forum and have read that it's just a yamaha thing and that yzf's all make that rattleing sound... but I also read that this noise was curred in '08???

Any thoughts?

Thanks-LM

• bmxdad2001

Posted February 28, 2011 - 10:46 AM

Hi Levi. I like you picked up a super clean 08 YZ450. I couldnt be happier wtih it. I came off a CRF250. What am amazing change going to the 450. I was surprised that I could ride the 450 longer without getting tired, maybe due to the fact that I just don't have to try as hard. I went to a 50T sprocket in the rear and a Lexx end cap on the stock exhaust. Great improvment in low end power. I absolutely love this bike. Good luck with it, I'm sure your gong to love. Yes just ignore the engine noise. :thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted February 28, 2011 - 11:11 AM

I'm picking up a '08 yz450f. Super clean bike. Still has stock chain,...

One thing that concerns me is the excessive engine noise on the top end.

If it still has the stock chain, it either hasn't been ridden, or you need a new one.

You need to listen to another YZ450 or two before you decide the noise is excessive. Most of them sound like a day at Elmer's School of Pipe Fitting.

• blueberg17

Posted February 28, 2011 - 11:25 AM

Thanks for the quick replies. I'm stoked, I'm sure I will love it!

If it still has the stock chain, it either hasn't been ridden, or you need a new one.

Most of them sound like a day at Elmer's School of Pipe Fitting.

Yes, I think it's about middle of the road on wear but definitly plan on putting an o-ring chain and sprockets anyways.

:thumbsup: @ Elmer's school of pipe fitting

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Steel Panther

Posted February 28, 2011 - 12:37 PM

I think most of the engine noise is due to the frame amplifying the engine noise, a guy at our shop fabbed up his 07 yz450f motor in his shifter cart for a laugh and 75% of the noise was gone.

• wags450

Posted February 28, 2011 - 12:56 PM

I have an 08 YZ450F and I have the noise. pretty normal for the 5 valve motor. My 07 YFZ450 quad and my dads 08 YFZ450 quad both have the same sound in the motor.

Just get the valves adjusted/checked every couple hours and you should have nothing to worry about

• blueberg17

Posted February 28, 2011 - 01:55 PM

Ok. I have more confidence now, seeing that the noise is normal characteristic of the yzf(even the '08's). I can't wait to get her out & run it through the paces!

I'll post pics soon:thumbsup:

• brentn

Posted February 28, 2011 - 06:19 PM

Mine was getting plenty loud after about 18 or so hours of riding. I did a repack with FMF packing and it made a huge difference in the report of the exhaust from close and far away.
This is one of the things you should do first thing when you buy a used bike, helps performance too btw.

Like you I came from a yz250 two stroke and was about to buy a 2010 two stroke. I did a TON of research, for about 4-5 months before I finally made my decision. The fuel injection, and tractability of the new 450 were the deciding factors for me.
Overall I don't regret my purchase at all, I do miss the two stroke sound though!

• blueberg17

Posted March 01, 2011 - 08:13 AM

Here's a quick cell phone pic. When I picked it up the guy threw in a paddle tire and a full set of new graphics! BONUS:banana:

Posted Image

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.