Newbie YZ426F Question

6 replies to this topic
  • pablo45

Posted February 27, 2011 - 11:01 AM

Hello,

I am debating if I should purchase a 2000 YZ426F from a local guy that I do not know. The bike seems to be in good shape overall and runs with no odd noises. It has some upgrades and must have a different cam as there is no compression release lever and he just kicked it over like a 2-stroke. Years ago, I raced in the 250 class with 2-strokes, but have never owned a 4 stroke dirtbike. He will take $1350 for it. Does this seem like a reasonable deal? Is there anything I should be looking out for?

Thanks for any help.

Paul

• StoneRacer

Posted February 27, 2011 - 11:21 AM

I had 1981& a 1994 yz 250 a few years ago i got 2000, 426 for $ 3500 . Im very happy
with the 4 stroke , i use for desert and sand dunes. Only thing i have done is new chain, sprockets and had the forks rebuilt.

• coreyl

Posted February 28, 2011 - 11:13 PM

it is a good bike with alot of power and torque. its at a good price especially if it has the autodecomp cams, but you might as well try talking the price down

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jcm3

Posted March 01, 2011 - 11:32 AM

Seems like a fair deal if the bike is in decent shape. It's tough to know the internal condition, but if it starts easily and rides fine and it looks good on a once over, then $1300 seems like a decent deal. It's hard to know until you check it out more thoroughly.

I paid that for mine a year and a half or so ago (2001), and it has been a great bike for me.

• stub08

Posted March 01, 2011 - 06:40 PM

i have 2 of the verry strong bike bot on thaat modle make shure the cluch has been moded to an 01 or 02 the way to tell is if its real jerky or grabs funky it wont be smooth that is the only real issue with them

• pablo45

Posted March 02, 2011 - 02:35 PM

Thank you for the replies. I ended up buying the YZ and am looking forward to warmer weather in MA.

• nathanpa01

Posted March 06, 2011 - 12:35 PM

I paid $1200 for a 2001, stock and in.... good condition. subframe is tweaked to the right (funny how, when asked, the PO says it was never crashed...hahahaha, but still worth it). but that was 2 years ago and still running strong with regular maintenance and only bearing/seal replacement.

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.