I could use some help...

10 replies to this topic
  • Lankyrider

Posted February 27, 2011 - 04:40 AM

I recently purchased a Hinson clutch kit in order to replace the stock clutch plates and springs. After i replaced everything i tried to adjust the clutch but i noticed that the perch became very hard to pull. I adjusted again both the perch and the clutch cable screw but the bike died when i got to 1st gear. I adjusted again and the only way to keep the bike running when in gear was to keep the perch with almost no slack at all...what am doing wrong?

• Nickm27

Posted February 27, 2011 - 09:38 AM

its prolly harder to pull because of the stiffer springs that came with the kit... I had the same problem, I ordered the E-Z pull clutch lever perch and it solved my issue

• Lankyrider

Posted February 28, 2011 - 03:43 AM

Well, i removed the clutch cover to check if everything's in place, also i replaced the aftermarket springs with the stock ones and tried to adjust the perch and cable screw but the problem remains...any other recommendations??

• grayracer513

Posted February 28, 2011 - 07:55 AM

I'd like to start by recommending you tell us what year/model you are working on. :thumbsup:

• Lankyrider

Posted February 28, 2011 - 08:34 AM

I'd like to start by recommending you tell us what year/model you are working on. :thumbsup:

It's a YZ450F 2008

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted February 28, 2011 - 08:49 AM

I would suggest you try the stock springs back in it. The likelihood is that the Hinsons are simply that much stiffer. The extra spring pressure is not really required, IMO. If it solves the issue of the hard pull, consider a new set of OEM springs. They're quite inexpensive.

• Lankyrider

Posted February 28, 2011 - 09:04 AM

I would suggest you try the stock springs back in it. The likelihood is that the Hinsons are simply that much stiffer. The extra spring pressure is not really required, IMO. If it solves the issue of the hard pull, consider a new set of OEM springs. They're quite inexpensive.

I've already installed the OEM springs back in but that didn't seem to solve the problem...:thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted February 28, 2011 - 10:55 AM

There are only three things that can influence the effort required to pull the clutch: The clutch springs, and the condition or routing of the clutch cable, or the leverage ratio built into the release arm. If the arm was not replaced, that leaves only the springs and the cable.

• Lankyrider

Posted March 01, 2011 - 10:35 AM

I'll check the cable again and i'll post the results. Thanks for replying

• primerib108

Posted March 01, 2011 - 12:19 PM

I never did like the way Yamaha set-up the cable routing to the clutch push rod........the angle is pretty aggresive and I have had to replace mine once already in the last year because of binding.

• Lankyrider

Posted March 24, 2011 - 10:29 AM

Well, i cleaned and lubed the clutch cable and i also rerouted it because i noticed that it was kind of stuck on the handlebar. After 1 hour of riding the clutch became as it was before, no problems thank you for your help.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.