Namura Piston

13 replies to this topic
  • onefasthonda

Posted February 25, 2011 - 07:45 PM

Has anyone used a namura piston? Are they any good they are cheapier then most piston's that I have saw?

Thanks for all replies:thumbsup:

• 01cr80

Posted February 25, 2011 - 08:09 PM

had one in my cr 80 from may to november of last year....not sure how many hours but it was ridden at least 3 times a week for an hour each time....the piston held up good and that bike always had its neck rung out, id use one again as an oem alternative

• ScramblerTom

Posted February 26, 2011 - 12:11 PM

I put one in my cr250 and the rings went after a hour - the heat cycles seemed to have taken and I was riding it to a buddies when they just started to lose comp. Not sure if it was my error or the rings - but that's the only experience I've had with them.

• SaLvAgE

Posted March 01, 2011 - 09:05 AM

I have been using Namura pistons and gaskets the last couple years. I have not had any problems. Very good OEM replacement piston and a good price. The gaskets are good quality too. :thumbsup: I will continue to use.

• kawi_wowi

Posted March 01, 2011 - 09:11 AM

I put one in my cr250 and the rings went after a hour - the heat cycles seemed to have taken and I was riding it to a buddies when they just started to lose comp. Not sure if it was my error or the rings - but that's the only experience I've had with them.

that sounds like you did not go through the break in cycle but unfortunately i know nothing about these pistons...

• ScramblerTom

Posted March 01, 2011 - 10:21 AM

that sounds like you did not go through the break in cycle but unfortunately i know nothing about these pistons...

yes i might be that - I did the usual 5-6 heat cycles and then went on a 20 minute ride around my country block and it seemed fine. but then it died when compression dropped to 65. pouring cold oil in the top end raised comp to 185. I will rebuild the head with the same piston (I have ordered rings from sledpartsguy on ebay and I will be a little more careful with filing my ring gap and my heat cycles. Nothing else looked to have gone bad. To be honest the piston is still on the bike - I just pulled the jug to make sure it was not junked.

• yz fur life

Posted March 21, 2011 - 03:27 PM

So would it be a good idea to go with this brand for a piston for a 2000 yz 125 or not? Herd a few good posts but other than that they all sound bad...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • choppertown

Posted March 21, 2011 - 05:10 PM

there is only one bad post.....

good pistons. iv put a few in some bikes.

• ScramblerTom

Posted March 22, 2011 - 02:56 AM

the worst thing about these pistons are their resale value. You simply can't brag that you put a namura piston in it. but in the end they work about the same. I have heard that it is not how they work but how they die, I have not seen it but they say namuras will make one heck of a mess when they blow, whereas Wiseco will not. That said I had a Wiseco shatter in my cr250 that blew a hole in the bottom of my cases.

• SaLvAgE

Posted March 22, 2011 - 05:25 AM

I have heard a couple people complain about them, but at the same time I read about complaints for all piston brands. I have not had any fail on me like that and I've probably used maybe 15-20 of their pistons.

One thing is that Wiseco is a forged piston and 99% of Namura's line is cast. There are differences in expansion and thus break in cycles needed for the 2 types so be sure to figure out what you need to do, but yz fur life I think you will be satisfied. They also have the B & C which can come in very handy (0.01mm larger size piston)

• yz fur life

Posted April 03, 2011 - 02:28 PM

I didn't have good luck with this piston. What happend was I changed my piston and I did all of the warmups (break ins) and I was out riding it and it just lost compression. It ended up scoring my cylinder on the exhaust side and melted the ring to the piston. Hopefuly I can get it fixed soon!

• terrobelone

Posted April 03, 2011 - 03:34 PM

F@#k that!!!

• MX926

Posted April 04, 2011 - 05:01 AM

I used namura pistons for the 2010 season in my 04 cr250, with great luck. Very pleased with the way they hold up, and a great value as well.

• terrobelone

Posted April 04, 2011 - 05:07 AM

pistonS!! how many and how long do they last assuming you race them 10-15hrs?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

1999 CR125R Choke installation? by josephduckworth

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   Honda 2-Stroke
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

1994 honda cr250 by goon_life427

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

best looking trail bike. by pain99

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   Dirt Bike Pictures & Video
  • Hot  260 replies
Forums
Photo

2007 CR250 IDLE AND LOW RPM PROBLEMS by Speeddemon73

• Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Anyone know what kind of lever this is by shatteredclutch

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • 8 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.