New 2009 WR450F

9 replies to this topic
  • telejojo

Posted February 25, 2011 - 04:12 AM

I just bought a new WR450 and without looking through all the posts thinga I need to do jets suspension etc.I have a KLR and love it but it's too heavy to go in the rough trails and more aggressive riding I would like to do.:smirk:

• mikewrf18

Posted February 25, 2011 - 04:21 AM

Congrats! Make sure and do the free mods, it will really wake up the bike. Did the dealership do the throttle stop mod? That single cheap mod alone will make a huge difference.

• miweber929

Posted February 25, 2011 - 05:35 AM

Read the stickies at the top, then you won't have to dig and 90% of you needed info is there.

Welcome!

Mike

• YamaLink

Posted February 25, 2011 - 08:24 AM

Check the air filter to make sure it's properly lubed and seated, read the stickies and jet that sucker properly and then set your sag/respring if your weight needs it: http://www.tootechra...ension_tips.htm

• telejojo

Posted February 25, 2011 - 02:43 PM

Rode it for the first time today and going from a KLR to this is a big change.It does not like to crank with the elec. starter or idle and cold natured as #$@!( I'm going to have to rejet as soon as I can.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • the_smoo

Posted February 25, 2011 - 03:45 PM

when cold, mine doesnt like the button.. I kick it when cold.. also dont twist the throttle. I found that my old habit of twisting the throttle when cold was causing me all sorts of problems..

I just pull out the choke, when cold and not started for a while, it usually starts within 2-3 kicks..

once warmed up, the button behaves much better...

• mikewrf18

Posted February 25, 2011 - 10:27 PM

when cold, mine doesnt like the button.. I kick it when cold.. also dont twist the throttle. I found that my old habit of twisting the throttle when cold was causing me all sorts of problems..

I just pull out the choke, when cold and not started for a while, it usually starts within 2-3 kicks..

once warmed up, the button behaves much better...

I agree, I always start my wr with the kickstart when it's cold. It's just an unecessary drain on the battery, and mine starts up easily with a couple good kicks. After that, I use the button the rest of the day.

• telejojo

Posted February 26, 2011 - 04:24 AM

Thanks a friend of mine is a mech. at the dealership and is going to help.I ordered a JD jet kit so next week I will get it running better.They did'nt have the owners manual so they had to order one,how much oil does it hold?I:ride: will change it after a couple of rides.

• mikewrf18

Posted February 26, 2011 - 04:47 AM

About 1 quart, .95 liters? I'm thinking off the top of my head. There is an oil level check bolt that you can remove after filling it, and it will drain the oil down to the correct level, then reinstall the bolt. Make sure the bike is upright and level. Check out this sticky for down loading a manual. I think there is one on there for 07' and up.

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=440372

• telejojo

Posted February 26, 2011 - 07:16 PM

Thanks,had a great ride today I LOVE THIS BIKE ,the KLR guys could not keep up with me.I think I need to stifen up the forks a few turns as it bottomed out on me a couple of times but other than that I had a great time.As I get more used to it I will get faster.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.